Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

subrahmanyam (student)     18 September 2010

name change

my name is as subrahmanyam .

In 10th , intermediate  and  degree certificates ,  my name is printed  as subrahmanam

But  in  date  o f birth  certificate , voter  id , Household  card  and  PAN Card   ,my  name is printed  as subrahmanyam

 I  want  to  change  my  name  to---- subrahmanyam


Please suggest me how change my  name


 8 Replies

Darshan Panchal (Advocate)     18 September 2010

ur correct name is appearing in the documents that matter the most i.e voter card pan card etc. had it been otherwise it would have been a prob .those are the documents u hv to use and produce as prrof in day to day affiars and ur correct name appears therein so its not a prob. why to go for a change of name.

saravanakumar (Lawyer)     18 September 2010



Yes you can change your name, Procedure differ from each state. If you are in tamil Nadu. You just send a letter to " Tamilnadu Gazette publication", Anna Nagar, Chennai.
They will send the details and procedure.







P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     19 September 2010

You have got right to change the name and style of your name. Thr procedure changes from place to place. Seek the help of someone from your state. Normally one has to apply  to the State Government.. Then they will ask to authenticate the change attested by two  gazetted officers. Then you have to publish in the state gazette. for which you have to pay for it. Afterwards the new  name will take place of the older. You must keep a copy of the gazette publication. with you for further use.

suresh (Advocates and Arbitrators)     19 September 2010

Dear Sir,

If you are in tamilnadu particularly in chennai. Please get one application for change of Name from Government Press at Anna Salai (Near Higginbothams) Fill up the application form. Get two gazetted officers attestation. and file it in the same office along with a fee of Rs.400/-. Your name will be printed in Tamil Nadu Gazette. You will be supplied with two copies of gazette by post. But the process will take 45 clear days. After receipt of the Gazette, you publish name change in any one of daily news paper. Then apply for change of new names with all the departments by showing the gazette and the paper publication. This is the procedure for name transfer in Tamil Nadu.


Ponmozhi (Senior Software Engineer)     23 September 2010

Dear Sir,

I am in process of changing my name and i reside in chennai. After my new name published in Gazette, Please let me know what are the process to change my 10th, 12th, College Degree certificate, PAN and Passport etc. Is it possible doing for the study certificates?


Noor Mohamed Mazhar (Merchendiser)     05 February 2011

To Whom soever it may may concern,

My Name is Noor Mohamed mazhar i want to apply for a passport,

Recantly i have changed my name as Noor Mohamed Mazhar in Tamil nadu Gazzette,

In my Ration Card and Driving Licence my name is printed as Mazhar ali,

In My Pan Card,Hsc Certificate,SSLC certificate,Bank Accont my name is Noor Mohamed

In my Bank Accont,Postal ID Card my name is Noor Mohamed Mazhar,

Can i apply for the Passport or shold i change the Name in Ration card and Driving licence for applying for a Passport,or this is enough for applying,


Thanks to give a solution to obtain a Passport ,


Please do the needful,




M.Noor Mohamed Mazhar


msundar (worker)     24 August 2012

Dear Sir,

           I am facing a serious issue in name. My name is M. Sundaresan Alias Mohan.  Previously, i used my name as Mohan and the subsequent documents such as ration card, voter id having the same name. On that period i have applied for Cooking Gas and the same was issued in the name of Mohan. Afterwards i used my name as M. Sundaresan and changed all documents including ration card, voter id, driving license. but in the gas book alone the name is unchanged.

Presently the gas authorities threatned that we will cancel your connection if your name is matches in your ration card.

kindly help me in this regards


M. Sundaresan


Amalan (Software engineer)     12 August 2013

Dear Sir,
After marriage my wife changed her name (from hindu to a christian name) in gazette and published the same in regional and english news daily before 7 years.
Her passport has the new name. There are few documents which contain her old name. Viz. in order of the years,
Birth certificate,
10th (SSLC) certificate,
12th Certificate,
B.Sc. graduation certificate and marksheets,
M.Sc. graduation certificate and marksheets,
Ration card.

She would like to pursue a job and I am confused which name should we use. Obviously we wanted to use the new name.

But since the academic documents have the old name it is a bit confusing about what to do. The passport correctly has the new name and we have the gazette & news paper copies with us.
Thanks in advance,
Amalan Philip

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register