LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nandhini (Director)     04 December 2014

Name & religion change for minor

I would like to change the name of my minor son due to religion conversion from islam to hinduism. Im a widow. Please let me procedure for the same


 1 Replies

srishti jain   27 July 2021

As per your query,

The procedure for a legal name change in India is as follows-

  • Visit your nearest Notary, make an affidavit regarding the change of your son’s name, and mention therein your specific reason for changing your name.
  • Once the affidavit is printed on plain stamp paper, it needs to be signed by two witnesses. It is to be signed by two persons of gazetted officer rank.
  • Publish the advertisement in any two local newspapers. For future use, it is better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.
  • Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state:

1. You need to visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get two copies of the Deed Changing Surname Form.

  • The Government will print the change of your name in the Gazette. The amount charged for this Gazette notifications varies from Rs. 700 to Rs. 900 depending on whether you want a public notice or not.
  • Documents involved in the whole process-
  1. Name Change Affidavit
  2. Newspaper Publication
  3. Name Change Deed
  4. Request letter to the Secretariat
  5. Name Change Statement
  6. Reply Letter from the Secretariat
  7. Publication Money Receipt.
  8. Gazette Notification

Hope it helps,



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register