Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Courage by my side (Homemaker)     06 September 2016

My rights after separation from husband.

I left my husbands house 2 weeks back with a 5 yr old son in my arms,due to continuous mental torture by my husband, his mother n sister from last 8 yrs.my patience broke aftr this long period of tym.iam in my parents house n nt working yet.my husband askd me once to come back but his attitude was very rude n he couldn't assure me if i will be safe with his family or nt.i dont want to go back.they have all my jewels dat my parents gave me at d tym of wedding.my parents spent 25 lakhs on my wedding 8 yrs bck as demanded by them.what shall i do so dat i cn get maintenance for me n my kid n get my jewellery n all d precious gift items given by my parents to dem.my husband is working as a senoir manager in a company n his family owns a big property.i hv some audio recordings of my mom in law torturing me mentally.cn i file domestic violence case n dowry case aftr 8 yrs of marriage.i just want divorce,maintenance for my kid n me n all my jewellery n expenses back from my husband which was earned from my fathers hard work.what should be my first step?

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)
Just go with mutual and u can not achieve anything by putting case .

Courage by my side (Homemaker)     06 September 2016

What if my husband is not ready to divorce me

Vibha   06 September 2016

Yes you can file criminal case under section 498a/406 and civil case under Domestic Viloence act. Remedy of maintenance will be granted by court within 1 year for yourself and son. Criminal case would put lot of pressure on husband to give mutual divorce. Due to recent SC judgements, arrests don't happen in 498a cases but it will cost your husband good chunk of money (legal fees) to defend the case.

If the battle become along and protracted, legal fees for you will also start piling up very quickly. Husbands these days usually files counter cases and matter quickly goes to filing transfer petitions, speedy trial petitions in High court and Supreme Court. All these things are very expensive and time consuming. Since parties have to spend so much on legal costs, parties become stubborn, they are willing to spend every penny on fighting but not a penny to give to wife and child. It is ugly situation where no one wins, both sides lose time and money. The lawyers and police make lot of money.

Reaching a mutual and amicable settlement without courts is the easiest and fastest route. Try your best to get an alimony and divorce through this route. Litigation should be absolutely last resort. Given the extremely slow and corruption ridden justice system in India, my opinion is that even when it comes to last resort, matrimonial litigation is not worth it. . 

Courage by my side (Homemaker)     10 September 2016

My husband n sister in law met me in d clinic where treatment of my son is going on.they slapped me n tried to abduct my child.they threaten me to tk my son away.don't know how to deal wid such lunatics.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register