IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Natasha (dd)     10 September 2014

My bf cheated on me & breaks promise to marry

i was having 7 years live in relationship with one guy.... he was always forcing me to have physical relations... but he always promised me that he will 110% marry me.... at the beginning of affair i told him... ki dekh m average looking n belongs to middle class family... n m not from time pass type of girls.. if u r serious and sure... then only m ready to enter in affair with you....now after 7 years he introduces me to his parents.. his parents totally dislikes me... and now his parents are giving the reason that ki kundlis are not matching .... but before introduction , kundlis were very well matched........ 3 years ago , i got pregnant also but aborted m too depressed now... taking pills to sleep.... my bf changed his mob number.... he breaks promise of marrying.... what should i do now....


 10 Replies

LoneFighter (IT)     10 September 2014

I am sorry for what has happened with ur life.

As far as what i have read from your message, Court might think that your boy friend might have had intention to marry you<coz he introduced you to his parents>, but turned out that his parents did not agree or what ever maybe the reason later. 

I am saying this because i have read many judgement letters on 417/376. So i would say, please move on. If you want to go to court, it might not end up well for you. 

If you still want to file a case against him, you can file case under sections 376/417 


Bunty (student)     10 September 2014

Bettr stay from courtal affair.. & move on. Bcoz aborting is a crime & the case may end up agst u.

gurcharan (computer operator)     15 September 2014

court ke bahar kuch kar lo,

ninjahatori1   20 June 2016

kill him. dont ask law for help. its your mistake no one will come to your aid

Pawan S (Advocate)     20 June 2016

Sorry to hear all this.


I am surprised to ascertain, you were having live in relationship. Worst decision you ever made.

WHY WHY WHY you did this?

It’s your fault.


Anyways, I suggest to lodge FIR & file cases u/s 375 (Rape), 417 (Punishment of cheating) against him.


I don’t guess about the verdict of these cases, at least you can harass him.





ninjahatori1   21 June 2016

Don't turn to law..  U will end up getting harassed.. There is no law which clearly says a guy who cheats will be punished or married to the girl he cheated.. Take law in your hands and kill that b*st*rd.. Or suicide.. That's the only way.. There is nt even a single case where guy is punished when the girl is educated..  Even your parents will nt support you to avoid shame.. V live in India but v follow b*st*rds culture b and law but are expected to be virtuous



Pawan S (Advocate)     23 June 2016

Querist, It solely depends on how you want to proceed.

1. Fight to get the justice.


Court proceeding may be time consuming and you have to wait for years to get the verdict. These suits are enough to make his life hell. In general, after these suits accuse approach the petitioner for the withdrawal of the cases. And petitioner becomes hostile as a part of out of court settlement. So, you can either claim money or ask him to marry you, as a part of the settlement. Claiming money is the best selection. Marriage will not ferment, but after the marriage, again, you will get the opportunity of filing matrimonial suits.


2. Forget everything and move forward.




Pawan S (Advocate)     23 June 2016

In this case, why the boy had taken 7 years to introduce the girl to his parents?

Because from the very beginning he doesn't hold an intention to marry the young lady and he was well aware of the fact that his parents will not permit him to marry her.



A s*xual relationship with a woman after making her a FALSE promise of marriage amounts to rape. The so-called consent under a FALSE promise of marriage is no consent. A man receiving consent to s*xual relations under false pretext does not amount to legal or valid consent and saving him from being accused and punished for rape.



Even if the woman is assumed to be a willing participant in their physical union, the fact that the man had no intention of marrying her would make it an instance where consent was given under a misconception, nullifying the efficacy of approval.



If the accused had made a false promise only to gratify his lust, it will fall within the ambit of cheating or deception and there is a distinction between the mere breach of a promise, and not fulfilling a false promise.



In some situations the prosecutrix agrees to have s*xual intercourse on account of her love and passion for the accused, and not solely on account of misrepresentation made to her by the accused, the situation does not necessarily lead to rape.



Consensual s*x under the promise of marriage is basically cheating, right?



Most other forms of cheating are punishable under Indian law, they have provisions. Like cheated on advertising claims, cheating on financial products, cheating among family members, they all have an outlet to address it and get legal support.



Doesn't this come under the same pretext?





Pawan S (Advocate)     24 June 2016

I do not entirely agree with Adv. Gonjare. And I will give the explanation for this discord.





But before that, I desire to ask the Queriest one question.





1. Do you hold all medical papers related to miscarriage/abortion.


Siddharth Dev (Advocate)     21 July 2016

nothing to add 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query