IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SanzStormz (Professional)     19 April 2017

Mother surname correction in birth certificate - pune

I am from Pune. My daughter is 2 years old. In my daughter's birth certificate, mother's surname is incorrect.  My name has been given as surname.

I want to get it corrected. Can anybody let me know the correct procedure to get it done. I want to apply passport for my daughter and dont want to get stuck because of this error.


 4 Replies

Lawyer, Bonum Lex LLP (Law Firm)     19 April 2017

For mother's surname/name change in the birth certificate of your child , you should follow these steps:-

1. Publish an advertisement of "change of name" in the local newspaper.

2. Prepare an affidavit on a Rs. 100 stamp paper, duly attested by class-I Magistrate.

3. You can also go for publishing "change of name " in the Government Press in your State. The same will then be published in the gazette.

4. You will also need to fill in a requisite form (that you can collect from the Municipal office ) for correction of name.

You are supposed to  submit the following documents to the Registrar of Births and Deaths in your Municipality – 

  • Your marriage certificate with correct name mentioned on it.
  • Hospital documents, where the name of both parents and child's  date of birth is clearly mentioned.

Attach the above mentioned (1 - 4) documents along with these two documents.


SanzStormz (Professional)     10 June 2017

But why publish change of name newspaper and gazette. The is no change in legal name.

Only that my wife's surname mentioned in my daugther's birth certificate is incorrect. 

Shouldn't submitting following documents to Muncipal authority be sufficient:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Affidavit certifying wife's correctt name
  • Copy of Bith records be sufficient.



seekinghelp   22 November 2018


You have a very valid question. Did you get any solution for this?

Bharat   01 December 2018

Can You please help me on same? I am Arora and my wife is Agrawal.

My wife is having all goverment docs with Agrawal surname. But on Birth certificate of my daughther by mistake its Arora.

Passport application of my daughter got rejected because of this mismatch.

please share your inputs on this.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query