LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jinu Padmakumar   07 November 2020

moot court competition

i would like to improve my mooting skills.
but despite participating in a few moot , i haven't found the exact way to do a moot.
each moot i went for worked in a different way.
and since the students aren't actually given any suggestions or feedback nor the reason why they dint qualify , it's difficult to find where we are wrong

Learning

1 Replies

Ishita Desai   09 November 2020

Originally posted by : Jinu Padmakumar
i would like to improve my mooting skills.but despite participating in a few moot , i haven't found the exact way to do a moot.each moot i went for worked in a different way.and since the students aren't actually given any suggestions or feedback nor the reason why they dint qualify , it's difficult to find where we are wrong

Hello,

Indeed, each moot competition is different. However, this is the basic structure:

• Start with a brief summary of your argument.
  • Give the Court an idea of what you plan to discuss and in what order. 
  • Make it clear to the Court in a very conversational way what issues are before the Court. 
  • Make positive statements about the law and/or policy in your favour.
  • Do not attempt to rely on too many cases or authorities. Stick with the most important authorities and those that are most relevant/directly applicable.
  • Sum up your argument briefly before concluding.

Things that you should remember while preparing for a moot are as follows:

• Do not use overruled case laws. Those will make the judges feel that you are unaware about things.
  • Avoid speaking about everything that is already there in the memo. Make your arguments crisp.
  • Try to use a mixture of national and international case laws.
  • Do not repeat your points.

I hope this gives you a gist. 

Regards,

Ish*ta Desai

Law Student

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register