LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh (engineer)     19 July 2009

Minor accident .. but FIR logged against me

Hi, few days back I was going on national highway within a city limit and it was raining heavily. Suddenly a car in front of me stopped, I applied my break but as we were going 40-50 km/hr speed in the fast lane but I banged on the front car. Fortunately nobody injured and we came out of car we stayed there for sometime and then taken each other’s no. and decided to meet later as it was office time, we decide to meet and decide cource of action. But the guy called me next day and said it will cost him 15K-20K to repair his car and I need to pay it. I said I am not responsible for accident and if you still want you can claim from my third party insurance as he was not having his comprehensive policy.
So for that there was requirement of filing FIR, he called after 2 days and said he logged FIR against me. Now what should I do ? Should I go to police station ? should I ask him where he logged FIR and go to that police station? should I wait for the summons ? Please advice.



 6 Replies

a.manoharan (Advocate 94431 45884 advocatemanoharan@gmail.com)     19 July 2009

first contact the Police Station and the case is depending on the F.I.R.

1 Like

Rajesh (engineer)     19 July 2009

Thanks Manoharan for reply. But Police will ask me how I know that the FIR is logged ? and Even I dont know in which Police station it is logged ? Only the another car owner called me told me that he logged FIR, so should I belive on him ?

Dharmesh Manjeshwar (Advocate/Lawyer)     20 July 2009

Rajesh, if at all he's lodged an FIR against u then he would have to file the same within the jurisdiction of the local police station where the said accident occured. So find that out. And U very well can say the truth at the police station that the opposite party called u up about the FIR and is blackmailing u for exorbitant amount.

Khaleel Ahmed (Legal Advisor)     21 July 2009

Dont worry, as soon as FIR registered against you, the concerned SHO will call you.

Rajesh (engineer)     22 July 2009

Thanks Khaleel for reply, but it is almost 1 week and nobody from the police station contacted me. So I was just thinking. Can Police drop this case as the FIR is registered after 24 hrs ? what is general process of Police in such cases ?

Sumiteshwar Choudhary (lawyer)     12 September 2009

 Dear brother,

                             there is no need to panic. there are many possibilities. The person might have just been threatening you. Police normally avoids such FIRs without seeing both the parties. Secondly, did that person whose car collided with you know about your whereabouts i mean your name address etc? If yes, he is lying because police have contacted you till now in case of lodge of an FIR if your whereabouts are known. If no, then from your vehicle no. your address will be traced and then u will be called at the police station. Only that police station can lodge the FIR under whose area the accident took place. If police calls you, you can get bail right their in Police Station because it is a bailable offence. In case of trouble get in touch with a lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register