LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Mental torture by spreading rumour

In which section & law can I complaint when my client harass by another person by spreading wrong rumour

Learning

5 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   28 August 2021

As per your query, let me inform you that in such a case you may proceed to file a complaint under section 499 of the Indian Penal Code for Defamation.

The section 499 IPC states that - "Whoever, by words either spoken or intended to be read, or by signs or by visible representations, makes or publishes any imputation concerning any person intending to harm, or knowing or having reason to believe that such imputation will harm, the reputation of such person, is said, except in the cases hereinafter expected, to defame that person".

Moreover, section 500 of the code deals with punishment for defamation, and states that if a person or an individual defames another person or an individual shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to Two Years, or with Fine, or with Both.

This, will let you get justice against anyone who is harassing your client by spreading rumour against him/her.

Hope It Helps!

Regards,
Kevin M. Paul

P. Venu (Advocate)     28 August 2021

The facts posted are inadequate to offer any meaningful suggestion.

(Guest)
Okay my client xxx has habit of self talking & laughing alone but he is not insane person he also had consult doctor doctor also saying he is normal but because this habit other spreading rumour that he is lunatic & just starting working & having financial trouble at home this is giving him stress & emotional about it also concerned that it may impact his future prospects also in which law & pc can I file case against persons involve in spreading rumour

P. Venu (Advocate)     29 August 2021

The posting appears to be a riddle than a query.

minakshi bindhani   14 October 2021

As per your illustrated query!

When one person makes false accusations against or statements about another and “publishes” those statements (by transmitting them to a third party by written word or word of mouth), and those statements damage the reputation, character or integrity of that person, the target of the statements may recover damages from the person who uttered the false statements. Such statements are called defamation of character. Under section 499 of the Indian penal code, 1860 deals with defamation. There are two types of defamation.
1)Libel

Libel is defamation that is written, such as in a newspaper, magazine or on the internet.

2)Slander: Slander is a defamation that is orally published, such as in a speech, over the airwaves, or in casual conversation.

Thus section 500 of the code deals with the punishment if a person or an individual defamed any person or an individual shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years or with fine or with both.

Regards
Minakshi Bindhani

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register