Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dondapati muralidhar   07 July 2020

Mental torture and not allowing kid to school

Dear Sir,

I have been married in 2003 and since then my wife not allowing my parents and in 2008 my father died. and in 2010 i have got a daughter. From the begining she has been torturing for even small thing and uses avery very abusive launguage .NOw my daughter is studying 4th class and coming to 5th standard. But deliberately she is stopping her studies by not allowing to school and always keeping in one room .By now my daughter develop some sort of dull ness and not talking to me. And for her education from LKG to 4th standard itself she has been changed more than 4 schools. Just because to show anger on me she stopped her to go to school in 4th stadard for 6 months nearly. And she is ready to attack even any time and abuses me almost 24 hours. My only consoliation time is my duty hours. Since I am working with govt,I am unable to do any thing. My mother isvery old and I do not have any support. I am belongs to Andhra pradesh. I need immediate and urgent help. I am at times getting idea of suicide.

But I have only daughter , she never likes her. Even food also not giving her properly. I am unable to tell any one .What to do and kindly help me .

Learning

3 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     07 July 2020

1. INSTEAD OF THINKING OF SUICIDE,  File "Divorce Petition" before the local Family Courts, on grounds of Cruelty, supported with all documentary evidences & witnesses and audio /video recordings of the various events

2. IF you prove "CRUELTY", THEN you will not be required to give any type of Alimony, Maintenance, whatever .... and you be entitled to Child Custory.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     08 July 2020

ever met area SHO

Krish Mahajan   10 July 2020

Hello sir,

You can file for Divorce Petition on the grounds of cruelty. The Hindu Marriage Act-1955 has given the legal provision for divorce on basis of cruelty under section – 13(1)(ia) as follows;

“Any marriage solemnized, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, may, on a petition presented by either the husband or the wife, be dissolved by a decree of divorce on the ground that the other party has, after the solemnization of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty”.

Cruelty refers to violent acts. However, a mere quarrel, petty outrageous behaviour or differences between the spouses does not come in the ambit of cruelty because this is something that is common in a day to day married life. It is not every act of cruelty in the ordinary and popular sense of that word which entitling the party aggrieved to a divorce; there might be many wilful and unjustifiable acts inflicting pain and misery in the respect of which the relief could not be obtained. To constitute cruelty in the matrimonial law, the conduct of complained should be “grave and weighty”. So as to come to the conclusion that the petitioner spouse cannot be reasonably expected to live the other spouse.  It must be something more serious than “ordinary wear and tear of married life”.

While explaining mental cruelty, the supreme court in Parveen Mehta v. Inderjit Mehta, (2002) 5 SCC 706, observed: “ Cruelty for the purpose of section is to be taken as behaviour by one spouse towards the other, which causes reasonable apprehension in the mind of the latter that it is not safe for him or her to continue the matrimonial relationship with the other. Mental cruelty is a state of mind and feeling with the other spouse due to the behaviour or behavioural pattern of the other. Unlike the case of physical cruelty, mental cruelty is difficulty to establish by direct evidence. It is necessarily a matter of interference to be drawn up from the facts and circumstances of the case.

The facts of Dastane v. Daatane presents a good example. The wife used to abuse the parents and ancestors of the husband; called the husband a monster in human form; threatened to burn herself and the house; cursed the Dastane family to ruination; tore the mangalsutra twice and said she would not put it again; once abused and insulted the even in the presence of his students; beat the daughter when she was running a high temperature of 104 degree; rubbed chillies on the tongue of an infant child; threatened her husband lose his job and publish the news in the city newspaper; wrote against him to his officers; used to switch on lights at midnight and sit down by the husband’s beside nagging him through the night as a result of which husband prostrated himself before her on several occasions; used to hide his shoes, keys , watch, wallet  and other things when he was to go to office, as a result of which on many occasions he went to office without food because of harassment by her. The supreme court held that this is not a case of mere austerity of temper , petulance of manners, rudeness of language or a want of civil attention to the needs of husband and household; these acts are not the ordinary wear and tear of married life; they imperil the husband’s sense of safety, mental happiness, job satisfaction and reputation. The wife was, therefore held guilty of treating her husband with cruelty.

Hope this helps

Regards

Krish Mahajan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register