Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harsha Vardhana R (Project Manager)     06 February 2015

Medical disability certificate - area jurisdiction?

Dear Experts,

We are residents of Karnataka.

As my elder brother (aged 57) is suffering from Paranoid Schizophrenia (mental illness - has a history of 25+ years of illness) and has been in rehabilitation for more than 3 years, a panel has evaluated him and a District Surgeon has issued a certificate in official form and seal (endorsed by the Psychiatric section doctor).  The panel has evaluated with 80% disability and declared as disabled to earn his livelihood. The hospital doctors have closely observed for nearly a year as they visits to the Rehabilitation Center of my brother.

One issue is that our permanent address (Aadhaar support is ready) is different from the District, where the certificate has been issued.

When I approached the District Disability Welfare Officer (our district) for a Disability Card, he simply informed me that the certificate is not valid for our district! He suggested that I need to admit him as an in-patient of the local district hospital and get a certificate for disability!

I feel that such issues can come up during serious issues like Family Pension Continuation and Civil Court procedures like Legal Guardianship etc.

So my basic question - Is there any jurisdictional limits (area) for medical certificates especially for disability? I believe that such certificates need to be valid at least throughout Karnataka.

So please clarify and enlighten me with any rule/law/GO that gives a clear picture.

Regards,

Harsha Vardhana R

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register