LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pradeep   20 December 2017

Maximum working hours/day in CRO, working 5days a week

Hi all, My best friend is working in a CRO ( (contract research organisation), an MNC located in a techpark at Bangalore). His company is increasing the working timimgs to 9 hrs per day which includes 0.5 hour of lunch break. The company operates 5 days a week. Hence the weekely total working hours (including breaks) will be 9*5=45. My questions are (1) what are the maximum number of hours, my friend is legally allowed to work per day including breaks? (2) what is the minimum duration of break time (lunch or any other breaks) my friend is legally allowed per day? (3) How many minimum leaves (all categoris: casual, sick, etc.,) my friend is legally elegible to take per year? Please quote your answers with the appropriate law/act/reference. So that my friend can raise his voice with a proof in law. Thanks in advance

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 December 2017

What is CRO; a commercial or Industrial establishment?

Since you have mentioned tech park it is assumed that IT is some IT/ITeS company and commercial establishment.

GO thru; Karnataka Shops & Estbs Act

Karnataka Shops & Estbs Rules.

Work hours are =8/day and 48 /week beyond which OT applies and there is capping on OT hours.

Break after 5 hours for 30 minutes.

The employee as per your narration works for 8.5*5=42.5 hrs/week.

The employee should not agitate on this part at all.

Leave; Relate with the Act and if the leave policy offers superior benefits compared to the Act, The employee should not agitate on this part also.

There are many IT/ITeS employees unions and even embraced by Trade Unions.

The employees that are members are properly informed on basics and on what they should agitate and how on what they should not; more so when the establishment offers superior benefits.

The Act, Rules, list of unions is available on website of Dept. of Labor. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register