Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Richa Agarwal (Propriter)     21 July 2013

Married woman's right on ancestral property

Dear Sir,

If women is married in 1991.

she has ancestral property purchase in 1955 by her late grand father who died without making will. Now property is in her fathers name written as came from inheritance on 7/12.

Whether she will get equal right same as her brothers after her father.

As Hindu Succession (Maharashtra Amendment) Act, 1994 says

CHAPTER IIA

SUCCESSION BY SURVIVORSHIP

29A.

Equal rights of daughter in coparcenary property.— Notwithstanding anything contained in section 6 of this Act—

(i) in a joint Hindu family governed by the Mitakshara Law, the daughter of a coparcener shall, by birth, become a coparcener in her own right in the same manner as a son and have the same rights in the coparcenary property as she would have had if she had been a son inclusive of the right to claim by survivorship; and shall be subject to the same liabilities and disabilities in respect thereto as the son;

(ii) at a partition in a joint Hindu family referred to in clause (i), the coparcenary property shall be so divided as to allot to a daughter the same share as is allotable to a son:

Provided that the share which a pre-deceased son or a pre-deceased daughter would have got at the partition if he or she had been alive at the time of the partition, shall be allotted to the surviving child of such pre-deceased son or of such pre-deceased daughter:

Provided further that the share allotable to the pre-deceased child of a pre-deceased son or of a pre-deceased daughter, if such child had been alive at the time of the partition, shall be allotted to the child of such pre-deceased child of the pre-deceased son or of the pre-deceased daughter as the case may be;

(iii) any property to which a female Hindu becomes entitled by virtue of the provisions of clause (i) shall be held by her with the incidents of coparcenary ownership and shall be regarded, notwithstanding anything contained in this Act or any other law for the time being in force, as property capable of being disposed of by her by will or other testamentary disposition;

(iv) nothing in this Chapter shall apply to a daughter married before the date of the commencement of the Hindu Succession (Maharashtra Amendment) Act, 1994;

(v) nothing in clause (ii) shall apply to a partition which has been effected before the date of the commencement of the Hindu Succession (Maharashtra Amendment) Act, 1994;

[Vide Maharashtra Act 39 of 1994, sec. 2 (w.e.f. 22-6-1994).]

But Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005 says

The relevant part of Section 6 reads as follows: “6. (1) On and from the commencement of the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005, in a Joint Hindu family governed by the Mitakshara law, the daughter of a coparcener shall,— (a) also by birth become a coparcener in her own right; the same manner as the son here; (b) have the same rights in the coparcenary property as she would have had if she had been a son; (c) be subject to the same liabilities and disabilities in respect of the said coparcenary property as that of a son, and any reference to a Hindu Mitakshara coparcener shall be deemed to include a reference to a daughter: …” Implications: The newly introduced section 6 provides that a daughter shall by birth become a coparcener in her own right. The implications of the introduction prima facie appear to be that a daughter stands on an equal footing with a son of a coparcener and is invested with all rights, including the right to seek partition of the coparcenary property. Problematic interpretations: The newly introduced section 6 begins with the words “on and from the commencement of the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005”.

A question therefore arises as to the status of women married prior to the commencement of the Amendment Act, i.e. prior to 9th September 2005 (“said commencement date”). In other words, would women married prior to the said commencement date have a right to claim a share in partition of joint family property occurring subsequent to the said commencement date? Arguments in favour of wide interpretation: A perusal of the Opening Speeches at the time of introduction of the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Bill, 2004 in Parliament; consideration of the Statement of Objects and Reasons of the Amendment Act and comparison with existing State legislations seems to lead to the conclusion that the Amendment seeks to introduce the concept of gender equality and consequently draws no specific distinction between married and unmarried women.

Please give your valuable suggestion

1) What is her right on ancestral property

2) Whether the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005 supersites Hindu Succession (Maharashtra Amendment) Act 39, 1994

3) If she takes divorce in 2013 weather it will make any difference in her right on ancestral property?

Kind Regards

Learning

7 Replies

Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath (Associate Professor of Law)     21 July 2013

If the property was not partitioned before 1994 or 2005, daughter has right in the ancestral property.

Her divorce has no effect on her right in the ancestral property.

Sandesh (Engineer)     03 February 2014

Hi. my grandfather is died 50 years ago & he had not made a will. So my father got my grandfather's room transferred on his name. My aunt who married 40 years ago never asked for a share in a room & she died a year ago. Now her son is asking for a share in a room. Does he entitle to get this share?

hemant (self employed)     02 April 2014

Originally posted by : Sandesh

Hi. my grandfather is died 50 years ago & he had not made a will. So my father got my grandfather's room transferred on his name. My aunt who married 40 years ago never asked for a share in a room & she died a year ago. Now her son is asking for a share in a room. Does he entitle to get this share?

give correct details . the room you are talking about , was it self owned by your grandfather or if he was a tenant ?? also give details about other members who were alive when your grand father died?? eg. your grandmother , parents , aunts ..  and their children ,,  how many brothers and sisters you are  ?? if its a tenanted property,,  you will remain a tenant throughout the life ,  the room in question ., was it purchased by your grandfather or was it ancestrial??

Mukhtar Ahmed (Sales Manager)     02 April 2014

My Maternal Grandfather (Nana) has 4 Children - 2 Sons and 2 Daughters.
Our Mother dies in the year 1976 & Nana  dies in the Year 1988. One of our Aunty Expired in the Year 2014 she  has no Children.

Now if the Daughter Dies prior to the Maternal Grandfather (Nana) then in any case the Children of the Deceased Daughter will get any share in Inheritance?

I mean will the Children of the Dead Daughter have any right in Inheritance or not?

Or will they get the Share of their Mother (Already Dead) and then distribute among themselves as per Shariah?

Waiting for your preciuos opinion?.

hemant (self employed)     03 April 2014

hi ,

I don't know about Muslim succession act , here is a web site where you can get good information ,

https://www.jagoinvestor.com/2012/04/hindu-succession-law-no-written-will.html

Abi (Computer analyst)     09 October 2014

Hi...

we are 3 sisters and 1 brother.. All of a sudden My father died in the year 1982 without writing any will and my mother also passed away at 2004.. Both of them failed to write any will.. From then till today only my brother was taking care of all the properties ..now when we 3 sisters ask for equal share he is saying that it's in property law that if a person had enjoyed the property for 30+ years then others have no right in the property.. Is that true?? Can we get equal share?? What needs to be done? 

Your reply is much appreciated!!

Pls note: all the properties were hard earned by my father.. My brother added no value to it.. He was Just a guardian..

kishore k (test engineer)     27 October 2014

Hello sir

I am kishore from mysore

I have one query regarding my ancestor property of my mother.,

I will brief about it

My mother  has 2 sisters and 2 brothers., total five of them.

They registered there ancestor property saying that there is no share to women(ladies) as girls does not have any right on ancestor property and the property was registered to my mother brothers( two of them).

The property details:

From Great grand father to Grand father

Grand father to Grand mother

Grand mother to His 2 sons ( june 2014)

They registered the property in june 2014.,saying that it has no value., but the property is more than 2 crores.,

I want to know if we put case., whether we can win or not

Please guide me

Thanks & Regards

kishore k

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register