LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar (Engineer)     08 June 2010

Marriage with Foreigner

In case of a boy wants to marry a girl who holds Bangladesh Passport and now in India on student visa. Both of them are Hindu. and age of both is more than 21years. 

1. What is the process for Court Marriage?

2. What documents are needed?

3. Do both need to be present in marriage register's office for initial notice which remain posted for  30days.

It would be a real help, if you please guide here at the earliest.

Thanks & regards

Learning

11 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     08 June 2010

First of all it is to be clear that there is no court marriage procedure in India.

Your marriage can be performed at any where in India.  If you want to register it, you can register before the Registrar of Marriages ( sub/senior registrar of your area).

If you want to get perform your marriage at registrar of marriages office, you will have to file an application in prescribed format along with an affidvit sworn by both regarding declaration of age.  You have to produce the age proof document.  3 amarried wittnesses are required.  Your marriage certificate will be issued after one month from the date of registration.

If you are already married just you file an application for registration of marriage with proof of your marriage.

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     13 June 2010

I do agree with Mr. Rajeev. U can contact me for further details and future help if u need at 9871158578 

Krishi (xxx)     28 July 2010

I am an Indian national and want to get married to a Romanian person in India. We both are residents of Italy.

We want to have a religious ceremony in India and then register the wedding. I found out that we need to stay in India for atleast 30 days. It is not possible to do so due to our respective work commitments. Please could you suggest an alternative procedure? In particular -

1. How to get married in the registrar's office and what procedure and documents we need and how much time is needed for this?

2. If we have a religiuos wedding (Hindu one) how can we register that. I mean how can we make sure some one gives us a certificate for the wedding on the day of the wedding (as it is done in a marriage hall) and secondly how to register this certificate.

3. What marriage act will apply to us?I am hindu and Indian and he is Christian and a Foreigner. Can the certificate for the Hindu wedding work or does he need to convert?

All your help is very much appreciated.

Regards.

Krishi

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     29 July 2010

GO ON - SPECIAL MARRIAGE ACT.

INDIAN AMBASSY AT THAT COUNTRY, HAS THE POWER AND PROVISIONS TO SOLEMNIZED THE MARRIAGE.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     29 July 2010

MR KUMAR CONTACT ANY MARRIAGE OFFICE FOR THE DETAILS.

YOU MAY GO ON IN A CONVENTIONAL HINDU MARRIAGE SYSTEM.

ARYA SAMAJ ALSO PROVIDE THIS.

Krishi (xxx)     16 August 2010

Thank you for the reply but we want to have a civil wedding in India. I wanted to know if

1. Both of us need to be present at the time of applying for the intent to marriage?
  2. Can the 30 day period be waivered as it is not possible to stay in India for 30-35 days to follow the marriage procedure?

Thank you in advance.

sandeep verma (advocate)     20 October 2010

Documents required for Performance & Registration of court Marriage...

1.Passport Size Photographs - four each of Marrying Persons.

2.Residential Proof (Voter Card / Passport / Ration Car / Driving License / Bank Passbook / Lease Deed / Rent Deed) of Marrying Persons.

3.Date of Birth Proof (Municipal Corporation Certificate, Xth or XIIth Examination Certificate, Passport, PAN Card) of Marrying Persons.

3.If any party is divorcee – Certified copy of Decree of Divorce granted by the Court.

4.If any party is widow / widower – Death Certificate of the dead spouse.

5.If any party is a Foreign Citizen or holding a foreign Passport or is having foreign residential address - Certificate of Present Marital Status of the party / No Impediment Certificate / NOC from concerned Embassy and Valid VISA.

6.Two Witnesses ( Both should be major )

FOR MORE DETAILS YOU CAN CONTACT  @ 9818673748 ( Adv.sandeep verma).

Caroline Sexton (housewife)     01 January 2011

Please be careful that if you intend to marry a foreigner or are two foreigners wanting to get married in India that you do not fall victim to some "christian churches" which are no more than mail operation pastors.  These people will take your money, perform illegal marriages, and not register your marriage.  This happened to me and it was a nightmare to get the US court to understand the state of the marriage.  

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005 email:adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com)     01 January 2011

Dear Krishi, you both can get marry in India but for registration. u both require to be present in court.

About waiver, it may be done but first send us your complete details.

Good luck.

and Happy New Year 2011

nakul dey (owner)     21 June 2012

hi, i am new here,i am indian boy and i am going to get marry a canadian girl, i have talked one lawyer about marrying with a foregner and he told me that i have to do an arya samaj wedding with her first where she has to change her relgion and her name, and then the certificate given by the arya samaj of  our wedding, would b sent to the court where this certifcate will b bse of our court marriage!

i am all confused with his information, cose i have read many blogs and information where many lawyers said that its not need to get married in aray samaj if we wants to get marreid under the special marriage act 1954, and i also dont wana change her (my girfriend's) name or religion after the marriage, so i need this infomation that what should we do? if we hv to do arya samaj wedding before court marriage? please some body help me with this,

thank you very much all.

Md Seraj Alam (Propritor )     11 July 2014

My Girlfriend is from Bangladesh and I am from India. I read the majarity of the old post and found out that in special marriage registration act the marriage is possible. But my biggest concern is her limited validity of visa. Maybe she will get the 3 months travel visa. I learned that Bangladeshi citizen is not eligible for PIO card.

1. So my question is If PIO card will not issued to her then what is the other alternative.
2. after marriage Is she eligable of Indian citizen ship?

I am very confused right now. Many people suggest so many things but there were no perfect solution.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register