25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohammed (Officer)     16 January 2012

Marriage under special marriage act followed by nikah

Dear All

                      I am Mohammed from Mumbai.I am in love with a Non-Muslim girl since last 8 years.We had got married undersapecial marriage act before 2 years and last month,she got converted to Islam and we got married(Nikah) in a mosque.Hence Should i regester this nikah (Marriage ) once again in regestrar office as per Muslim Personal law.As both of our parents are unknown about this act so how to avoid any worst situation that will come in future.So any suggession so that the work will be get done legaly..Awiting for your help!!


 4 Replies

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     16 January 2012

what situation will come.


Mohammed bhai

1. Do get your marriage registered with the Registrar of Marriages. Give one cert to your dear wife and keep one for your records.

2. Your wifes change of religion is not related to marriage status. The religious status is relavent to last rites.However,  you can publish the change of your wifes religion  in the local and national newspaper and keep a record of that publication to avoid any disputes from your or her family.

3. If Hub and wife are loving and in good terms, you dont have to worry about anyone else- technically speaking. Try to project your wife in the most honorable and respectable way to your family, likewise get her to do the same. If there is any tension from either families, then both of you move to a place away from the out-laws. Let time heal the adjustment process. Shield your wife from malicious relatives else you will become a life member of LCI. 

God bless, have fun.



1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     17 January 2012

Dear Mohammed

no need to registered the marriage because you have already registered the marriage under SPECIAL MARRIAGE ACT, after conversion in ISLAM and Nikah with you is also registered in qazi's documents, Qazi would also provided you a copy of NIKAHNAMA, it is same as registered.

feel free to call

1 Like

Aafreen (Project Officer)     13 August 2014

My friend was married to a hindu lady under special marriage act and then they went for Nikah. She has left home past 2 years and is working elsewhere in a different city. As per Islamic laws, he has divorced her a year before she left home, but still she stayed there coz she wanted to complete her studies before she gets a good job. She herself left the house and is living independently.. But not ready to divorce through court. If he wants to marry again, will the Islamic laws apply or the Special Marriage laws?  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query