LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav Singhal (Technical Analyst)     04 July 2011

Marriage Registration outside the state of solemnization

I got married in 2005 in Delhi but did not get my marriage registered. Later on I shifted to Pune (Maharashtra) and now for several reasons (e.g. passport update, bank account opening) a marriage certficate is needed. Since I am not living in Delhi currently, is it possible to get my marriage registered and obtain a certificate of marriage from Pune? Will this certificate be valid across India?


 3 Replies

Adv. Gulammayudin A. Gagdani (LEGAL ADVISOR)     04 July 2011

well it will be valid but the thing is better if you can get registered your marriage from delhi only. else what you will need is to show that your marriage is done in pune at some temple or place. now in this situation i advise you if possible please register your marriage at delhi only.
1 Like

A V Vishal (Advocate)     04 July 2011

You can register your marriage at the place of your residence. There is no bar in law for such registration and it is perfectly valid too.

1 Like

Rupam Ghosh (In practice)     18 July 2011

Hello Gaurav, If you are married as per Hindu rites and have proof of residence at Pune then certainly you can register your marriage at pune which shall be valid for all purposes.  However the Sub-Registrar has authority to verify the documents regarding your marriage, and raise issues regarding the delay in registration, however usually he condones such delay on producing valid proof of marriage. 

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query