Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankit Sharma (owner)     28 August 2012

Marriage registration and change wife name

Hello friends, 

Need some legal advice.

I am ankit sharma and got married to my wife rajshrii chandra on Nov 2011. we got married with all hindu tradition in presence of all family relatives. Now I want to register the marriage and my wife leagally wants to change the name to sharma. I am In Ahmedabad and here we got CIVIC centers to so the stuff but there is no one who could guide me how to change the wife name to get the new name in the registration certificate so that she can apply for the other new douments like PAN and passport.

Ahmedabad might have some different rules because my delhi friends goth the name change easily.

Please advice me to change the wife name and get the marriage certificate with the new name.

Thanks in Advance 

Ankit Sharma

Learning

4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     28 August 2012

Declaration by the wife is sufficient to add surname after marriage.The proof could be the marriage invitation or the certificate of marriage.

Biswajit Kumar Patra (Advocate)     28 August 2012

Dear Ankit,

The registration of marriage and the change of name can be at the office of Sub-registrar. There you have to file an application (the application format is generally available with the office staffs of the sub-registrar) along with the passport size photograph and other necessary documents such as address proof of both the parties, marriage snaps (preferably snaps of garland exchange and shaptapadi/sath Phera), age proof etc. along with the affidavit and witness.

Therefore I suggest you to visit the sub-registrar office having jurisdiction over the area you are residing. Don’t be disheartened it is not at all difficult or confusing. And I believe you will also find it easy once you visit your sub-registrar’s office.

Biswajit Kumar Patra

Advocate

(0)9910193233

Ankit Sharma (owner)     28 August 2012

Hello Thanks for the valuable guidence.

Once I fill the form for the registration. Should my wife fill the name as original (Chandra) or can fill desired surname as (Sharma) and give ID proff of old name as Chandra.

Or shall we do the registration with the birth names we both had and go for a seperate procedure to change the name

Biswajit Kumar Patra (Advocate)     28 August 2012

Dear Ankit,

She has to fill the form with her original name only.

By the way both the applications (change of name and marriage certificate) are different and has to be dealt with separately. However changing of surname is not mandatory. Further the marriage certificate alone will be sufficient, if at all the situation comes for her to go abroad with you on dependent visa.

It is further to inform you that obtaining a marriage certificate generally takes lesser time than changing the name as changing name will also be required publication in the local news paper and thus takes comparatively longer time.

Biswajit Kumar Patra

Advocate

(0)9910193233

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register