LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aditya (Manager)     12 May 2010

Marriage possibility in goa!!

is it possible get married in goa if both the girl and boy are non residents of goa?? what is the procedure?

Learning

7 Replies

mahendrakumar (marketing)     12 May 2010

yes, can marry like at any other states of india.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     12 May 2010

Hire a pundit.

take him to goa alongwith you.

get married at goa; enjoy the honeymoon;

after returning distribute sweets to lci friends.

if you think about registration under the special marriage act; - it is not possible due to the lack of your address outside goa.

(Guest)

Sh. Arup ji,
Remember the famous Sanjay Dutt's case of Goa :-)

HMA applies to GDD (Goa - Dman and Diu) Since marriages solemnised or registered under personal laws in Goa are not regulated by the state’s civil code, matrimonial disputes can be decided by any court in India, the Supreme Court has said. So, if a marriage between two Hindus is performed in Goa, Daman and Diu (GDD), parties can file a divorce suit in any other court outside GDD.

Setting at rest the long-drawn controversy over enforcement of a GDD law enacted in 1911 that says “marriage is a civil contract”, the Supreme Court said this provision was altered by a decree on January 22, 1946, restoring the validity of Catholic and Hindu marriages. “ Two Hindus, therefore, can contract a marriage according to Hindu religious rites or by way of a civil marriage,” a bench of justices Altamas Kabir and Cyriac Joseph held, while allowing the plea made by one Vinisha seeking transfer of divorce proceedings initiated by her husband Jitesh Tolani from Goa to a court in Delhi.

Rejecting Tolani’s plea that the case cannot be transferred out on the ground that local law prevails over customary law, the SC said section 2 of the Hindu Marriage Act is applicable to all of India except J&K, and it also applies to Hindus domiciled in all territories except that state. In other words, even if civil laws in Goa prevail over personal laws, it cannot prevent the transfer of a matrimonial matter outside the state, the court said.
Rgds.

(Guest)

Procedure: - The persons getting married will have to appear themselves or through their attorneys before the Civil Registrar. If the consent of parents is necessary as discussed above, they will have to remain present. Besides, there have to be four witnesses for the ceremony of the registration, who know the parties marrying and who know that they are not married earlier.
Before the date of registration of the marriage, the Civil Registrar shall affix a Public Notice on the office, inviting objections if any, within 10 days. This is known as the EDITAL period.

If a party is in a hurry to get married, he has to make an application before the Delegado, i.e. the Asst. Public Prosecutor of the taluka, who is empowered, and he can give exemption from waiting for the said 10 days. It is then possible to register the marriage immediately, probably even on the same day you first approach the Registrar.

Registration: - Marriages in Goa are compulsorily registerable. Only a civil registration of marriages in Goa is accepted as evidence of the marriage. Like births and deaths, marriages also have to be registered to create legal rights.

This law which requires registration is the Code of Civil Registration. Chapter VII prescribes that the registration of the marriages shall be made in accordance with the Decree Law No. 1, dated 25th December, 1910. 

In every taluka, there are offices of the Civil Registrar, where the marriages are to be registered. Those who desire to marry have to declare their desire before the Officer  of the Taluka chosen, alongwith (1) a certificate of domicile of residence & (2) the certificates of birth.

Aditya (Manager)     13 May 2010

to appear before civil registrar is it necessary to go through a lawyer?? if one tries to do so independently does the matter gets prolonged??

(Guest)

1. If you know where to get the Forms filling / where to get them affixed how to fill them up and other paper works and the way it is submitted in paper file format etc. etc. then do-it-yourself otherwise why be penny wise lazy afterall a Hindu marries once (oh really) in lifetime :-)
Enjoy your or on your clients behalf the question about marriage in Goa asked by you.
Rgds

Vishal (Businessmen)     14 March 2012

Dear Sir, 

I have a query - I want to arrange a court marriage in Goa in order to get married to girl whom I want to be married. but to carry out the same, I am facing some legel riddles which I would like to bring into ur notice - 

1. I hail from MP but from the past 3 years I am working at Goa. Hence I don't have permanent residence at Goa. 

2. The girl belong to the WB. 

3. Unfortunetely our parents are against this marriage. 

Can we arrange our marriage in Goa, what could be the possible difficulty we may face to organise our marriage. 

I would be greatful to get your assistance for the above indicated matter. 

Thank You. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register