LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Alex   28 August 2015

Marriage called off by bride family


My brother met a girl through matrimonial site. The bride and bridegroom introduced to eah other parents, within few days everyone was fine with the marriage. The bride family suggested to have the marriage near the bridegroom's place, which all agreed. Later, on phone, they mentioned they dont want marriage in 2016 as its leap year and would like it to be done in december 2015. The bridegroom's family was near to the event management that was finalised and not to lose the marriage date for december, on mutual agreement, the bridegroom family paid the initial advance of 25K to the event management. The bride's family mentioned they would come in 2 days and pay-off the remaining advance of 30K to the Event management guy. They came after 2 days, gave a cheque of 30k, everthing looked fine. After 4 days, the event management guy calls up saying the cheque has bounced. When this was informed to bride's parents, they told that they got to know from the society that the groom is not good by nature and want to call-off the marriage. They were not convinced to talk and sort out the matter. Later, we told, that we trusted you guys and paid 25K to the event management guy, which is non-refundable. Now, that you have called-off the marriage, return the 25K that we invested. Now, they lie saying you made the payment in hurry and hence we are not liable to pay the 25K. Now, the family members just hang up the call and we are left helpless.
Is there a way we can legally get our 25K from them. Note: The bride works in a law department for a company.



 6 Replies

SuperHero (Manager)     28 August 2015

@Alex - May be you can file a civil case and roam around courts or

Negotiate with the management guy and get a reasonable amount of it.

Or think you have donated money to a charity.

There are cases where Marriages have been stopped or halted in the Marriage hall when the marriage ceremony is to take place in few minutes.

sridher (system analyst)     28 August 2015

25 k is not a huge amount, and dont waste your time by going to court or aany where elase.

i thnik now you understand the nature of that person's just leave it and forget all those thing happened

and be happy


god bless you

saravanan s (legal advisor)     28 August 2015

look into the bill as to the terms and conditions they have mentioned regarding cancellation.if nothing is mentioned then send them a notice demanding the refund of advance amount.


It ok.  Dont break ur head.  Find someone else.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     29 August 2015

You have to file a cheating case against the bride family for cancelling the marraige. Simultaneously file a civil case against the bride family for civil damages i.e. for Rs.25,000/- along with interest, legal expenses and damages.

sridher (system analyst)     07 October 2015

u r very lucky person marriage broke down with their own hands, dont go to any where if you want, you have to pay lot of amount to advocate and u have to waste lot of time by visiting court.let forget it boss

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query