Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AKD (Consultant)     18 July 2012

Marriage being called off after engagement

Hello Everyone,

My sister’s marriage has been called off from the grooms side after engagement. The reason given to us is that our father has a dominant nature and his family does not believe that this marriage can work. We pleaded with them in all possible manner not to cancel the marriage considering a girls future, however after all pleading they are not willing to listen anything. Surprisingly all this happened in one single day.

Both the family belongs to Uttar Pradesh from different district however the girl and boy is working in Delhi NCR. I am too settled in Delhi NCR and my sister stays with me. While initial discussion between families we agreed to pay 4 lakhs in cash and a car worth aprx 4 lakhs, with some general house hold items as a gift to our daughter and her groom. The engagement ceremony was celebrated in our native place in Uttar Pradesh in presence of aprx 100 people. On the day of engagement, we have paid 50 K in cash and 50 K by cheque to grooms family.

After engagement things were very good, the boy and girl started getting closer and happier. I even invited the groom on my house in Delhi NCR for lunch a day before all this happened. Everything was looking very nice and next day my father received a call from his parents and balanced cash of 3 Lakh was demanded. My father wanted to hold some money to be given during various ceremonies during Tilak and Marriage, however it was not liked by the groom’s parents and they threatened to cancel the marriage. On which my father got upset and pleaded with them that its not right. After that they are blaming my father of being rude and cancelled the marriage claiming the wrong behaviour of my father.

We tried to plead and expressed our apologies throughout the day, but before the day ended they have declare their unwillingness for marriage and asked for our bank account detail for returning the cash they have taken.

We are in to mental sock and very much worried about our girl’s future. She has been emotionally involved and going through a deep mental stress.

Please help me with available legal action we can take against them to teach them a lesson. They should know breaking marriages in such stage is not so easy. Off course now even if they agree we will be not willing to continue the marriage but we want to teach them a lesson so that they don’t ever do such things with anyone else.

I want to know what all options we have and whether we can file complain in the city where we lived and where engagement ceremony took place or we need to file complain in the city they belongs to.

Thanks in Advance for your advices.

Regards

AKD

Learning

4 Replies

Arjun Gupti (Business)     18 July 2012

Boss if they are ready to give back all the money and expenses, just take it and try to find a good boy for your sister. WHY WOULD YOU LIKE TO TEACH THEM A LESSON? DID THE BOY misbehaved with your sister? If they do not wish to marry, let them be happy and you also stay happy. It is good that married did not happen. SO live and let others live. FORGET ABOUT CASES AND DOWRY COMPLAINTS. Don't ruin your sister's career.

If they let off so easily they would do it with some other girl. do you think that we should accept whatever happened with out any reaction. what fault the girl has who is going through all the trauma. All relatives, friends and dear once know about this marriage.

And One thing I am unable to understand that how filing a complain will ruin my sisters life? I have no intentions to complain anything on false or partial false grounds. I have tried to give all info in a brief. I have no intention to file a dowry complain but need to understand that do we have any legal right against the social and mental loss, money is lease concern.

Regards

AKD

Shishir (Manager - Business MIS)     18 July 2012

Dear AKD,

"want to teach them a lesson"  will lead to teaching lessons to both the sides. Dowry is a big stigma in society and even educated peole are not spared from that stigma. Accepting and giving dowry is a crime, which you have already committed. It may further ruin your sister's career and future. If you want to just file non cognisible case, then what is point in doing that? (as you are saying that you do not want file dowry cases). If you file suits like dowry or cheating, it will go on trial in court for atleast 3 years. And after doing such practices, dont you think that groom's side will spread bad words about your family in society? (considering these points, your sister will suffer more than what she is going through now) Try to speak to guy as u have said he was quite comfortable till last day. And even if he is backing out then ask for refund of your money, re-ibursement of expenses you have incurred on engagement along with compensation for all sufferings. (Though money will not fill in the emotional trauma). With passage of time your sister will recover and she will find best person in her life.

Just forget those words about teaching lesson and handle situation smartly rather jumping into judiciary processes.

Best regards for your sister.

Thank You Shishir, Whatever you said is defiantly considerable, however At this moment we just want to explore what all options we have and that’s why I came to this forum. As you said the top priority is sister, however was just interested to know if our judicial system give any rights to us in such cases.

Forget dowry, but the social & mental damage. My sister is leaving a well sattled job to avoid facing people. Are we so helpless that one can do anything with us and we have no other option, but to accept?

Regards

AKD

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register