LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj (Other)     09 October 2010

Marriage Annulment

I recently got married about 20 days back and came to know from my wife that she had concealed some information from me and my family to go through with the marriage.

She has hidden from me and my family a past relationship with another person.

I feel completely cheated and dissapointed and I left to the US soon after.

She is ready to confess to this and wants to make things right for me now .

She said she is willing to consent for mutual annulment

Can I apply for marriage annulment based on this.

I dont want a divorce.

Also can you briefly tell me how long the procedure  will take if this is feasible.

Marriage was registered in chennai.
Thank you in advance.


 6 Replies


You married recently and your wife also confess this ,then give a chance and forget all this things as it happens before marriage.

It seems that in the world that we live today, having an affair is becoming more and more common.Every men and women have some relation with some exception so that does not means that they are go for divorce and if she donot diclose at the time of marriage then give a chance to her anf if she continue her relationship to other person then it is advisible for mutual annulment.

You also agree that I dont want a divorce.

My advise is to give a chance as she is already confess all this.

Faith is confirmed by the heart, confessed by the tongue, and acted upon by the body.

Marriage is not easy, and when we do marry, we take an oath "Till death do we part". Not till "Unhappiness" or "infidelity" do we part. Do you love your wife?  I am sure that you do. Your family is worth experiencing some pain for. I am not saying that what your wife done was rite, but she did make a mistake. You being the man now has the weight on your shoulders to figure out how to deal with it. The love of husband and wife is much more valuable that the price of a mistake.

Mugundhan (Lawyer)     09 October 2010

You dont have any case for divorceor annulment . Try to ignore the past and live with your wife.

1 Like

Raj (Other)     09 October 2010

She doesnt want to consummate the marriage.




ESTHERPRIYA (Practising Advocate)     09 October 2010

When you are registered the marriage you are required to go for divorce alone based on the reasons that to after a year. In case of annulment of marriage, You have to show sufficient reasons that marriage has been done with out fullest consent by both parties and to declare the marriage as null and void. We cannot put a time frame for court proceedings any how in case of any help you may mail me at, we are advocate practising in Chennai.


nothing such as mutual annulment  exists. however she can apply for annulment on basis of marriage under force/pressure by family, specifically mentioning marriage was not consummated becoz of this. it can take around 3 months , but no time frame exists. contact an expert advocate there are many more things for this petition depending on ur circumstances.

Surender Kumar Sharma (Advocate)     10 October 2010

is it not possible to sit and dicide on mutual concent for the next step of life

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query