Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rajshree (freelance)     07 June 2011

Marriage Age

Dear members

Two of my friends: a girl and a boy wish to marry. They are both 20

1. They know eachother since childhood and have trust for eachother so no problem
  2. The boy already works parttime along with his graduation so no problem
  3. Parents not agree to marriage because elder sister unmarried

Now they want to marry. The girl is legally in marraige age but not sure about the boy. Some person told me that now the marriage age for boy also reduced to 18 and some say it is 21?

Can they legally marry? Please tell me the minimum age for marriage for girls and boys

I said it is not okay at this age but they want to marry

Learning

5 Replies

SSSSSSSSSS (b)     08 June 2011

If i am not wrong in Hindu girl minimum age of marrage is 18 and boy is 21.

Amit Parmar (Junior Lawyer)     08 June 2011

Dear Rajshree,

In our country the legal age for marrige is 18 years for girl and 21 years for boy. On the date of marriage the girl should be over 18 and in the same way the boy should be also above 21years. If any girl or boy is attaining their mattured age today, then they can marry tomorrow . Today their is no scope for them and the marriage is also void according to the law.

So i think that you have no other opption but to wait for attaining the valid age of maturity .

Dr V. Nageswara Rao (Advocate)     08 June 2011

1. Under the Child Marriage Prohibition act,  the Hindu Marriage Act and Special Marriage Act, the marriageable age for man is 21 and women 18.years.

2. Under S. 3 of Child Marriage Prohobition Act of 2006, the marriage is not void but voidable st the option of the child within two years after attaining  21 or 18, as the case may be. That is, if the man and woman have no objection for the child marriage they have gone through, they can happily continue ever after as spouses!!!

3. If the marriage is treated as void, it will create chaos and thousands of marriages will become void all over Inda.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     08 June 2011

Some person told me that now the marriage age for boy also reduced to 18 and some say it is 21?

Please tell me the minimum age for marriage for girls and boys

Can they legally marry?

---   no,

it is 21 for boy and 18 for girl

rajshree (freelance)     08 June 2011

Thank you to all. Please tell how to do quick court marriage after 10 months when the boy will become 21 ? Court marriage is possible to hide from family ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register