LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj   10 June 2017

Maintenance and divorce

We got married 2 years ago in Kashmir. I have been living with my wife in Bangalore since then. I am a resident of Bangalore. My wife went to her native, J&K a few months ago. Can my wife file a petition under section 488 CrPC in J&K since we have been living out of J&K jurisdiction. J&K still has section 488 in there which has been replaced by 125 in all other states. Secondly, can she file a divorce case from there. I am confused because the laws in J&K vary from other states

Learning

6 Replies

Raveena Kataria (Advocate )     04 July 2017

Could you answer whether you and your wife were married as per Hindu laws, personal Sunni/Shia Muslim law, or under the Special Marriage Act? (If anything is applicable.)

Raj   04 July 2017

We got married as per Hindu laws. She has clearly stated in her petition that she is qualified enough to earn for herself and her family. Than how is she still liable to get maintenance

Raveena Kataria (Advocate )     04 July 2017

Since your wife is a native of J&K and your marriage was also solemnized/registered in Kashmir, she can apply for maintenance u/s 488 whilst within the jurisdiction of J&K. Before granting of the maintenance order in favor of the wife, it needs to be proved to the satisfaction of the court that the husband has sufficient means to maintain his wife and that he refuses or neglects to maintain her.

However, maintenance may be denied in cases where, either the wife refuses to live with the husband (without sufficient reason,) or she and her husband are living apart by mutual consent. Also, regard will be given as to the needs and the social position of wife. If the court deems the wife can take sufficient care of such needs, maintenance would be denied. I'd advise you to get in touch with a local advocate so he can assist you in building your case and get you smoothly through the proceedings.

1 Like

Raj   04 July 2017

Thank you Raveena Mam. I can tell you that she has left me for no reason and is living apart by her own will. Anyhow, thanks for showing me the way.

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     04 July 2017

Yes, your wife can file divorce petition under HM Act and she can also claim maintenance if her earning is not sufficient to maintain her. Consult a lawyer with all details.

Raj   07 July 2017

In her own maintenance petition, she has stated that she is qualified enough to work and earn for herself and the family. Is this not enough ground to not award maintenance. I have one big question "She and her family have been spreading rumors of me having a wife and kids before marrying her. This is happening consistently since last 3 to 4 months. To be clear, I hv no wife, I do not even hv a girl friend. Can I file any case against her based on this character assassination.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register