Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sheikh Mohammed Shoaib Latif (lead Associate)     12 November 2015

Love marriage of muslim couple

Sir, I would like to know that we are both sunni muslims and wish to marry butfamily oppose our marriage. we are mumbai residents and are adult 35 +. can we marry as per the special marriage act at Bandra court. My friend says that before marraige we should go to police and make NC for our security.

As the family of the bride can registered a police complained against me . 

Please also advice about nikahnama and court marriage ...can both be done.

Also advice is NC a must if marrying against the brides family wish to safe gaurd the job of mine.As they say muslims if go to police chowki the cops harress and pressure the mulim to pay bribe or the hit them...for no reason ...we minorites are always insecured...because of many false allegations lodged can loose our it also impacts the service career...

I am very much confused... 

 3 Replies

Adv. Yogen Kakade (+ 91 9225510883)     12 November 2015


As you both are of major age then you can certainly get married as per the provisions of Special Marriage Act. No need to worry at all. No need to go to the court, Collect the papers related to your age proof and residential proof original copies of both of you and submit the application at the office of the Marriage registrar in your area. You will be given a date on which you can remain present before the registrar and get married. 

Secondly, if you really feel that your in laws might create some issue out of it or  they might bother you, then just go to the nearest police station and give an application to get protection. And remember, Police wont bother or harress you, just you being muslim or any minority religion. This is India, You can raise voice against anything happening illegal against you. Even you can take action against the Police if they bother you without any reason. But believe me Police doesn't do this kind of things.. they have hell lot of other work to do. I think you are thinking so much and getting dipressed without any reason. You are planning to get married.. this is not just an agreement but it follows with so many responsiblities in life. Once you get married, you will feel that the things you were facing and getting worried for before marriage are really petty problems than tolerating your wife every day. 

Jokes apart.. but do not think much.. If you are of Major age and want to get married.. then just fulfill the Legal formalities and get married.

Adv. Yogen Kakade


cyberlawyer (barrister)     12 November 2015

You both belong to the same religion and for what reason you say that special marriage act will apply to your marriage. And the following posts concurs with your statement, and i dont find any reason for the same. 

Mukesh sharma (job )     26 November 2015

i agree with you sir bec you both are same religion so why you need to go special marriage act and you also mature so no one stop your marriage you file application on you local magistrate and he give you date in which you collect all proof regardind your age and your address proof so till date you also nikaha and go to register he will give you cerificate if you think your family disturbe than you give application to local police station they give you protection so you no ned to worry about  your religion and any of other thing you live in india there all religion same respect so dont affriad 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query