Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harassed Hunsband (prop)     29 August 2012

Live in relationship, please guide, my age is going by......

Is it bigamy, if I start live in relationship with someone while divorce proceedings are on......?

I feel cheated for not disclosing me the girl to be mentally unstable and are now avoiding divorce and looking at maintenence........

The girl seems to be having bipolar disorder.......

Please guide, My age is going by........


 7 Replies

Amit (NA)     29 August 2012

Lot of people are facing similar issues.

Do you plan to have a live-in relationship for short-term or "permanent".

Since your wife has mental conditions, you may look for a permanent solution. If so, find another suitable girl, shift to another city and start life afresh with her. It's not bigamy if you don't marry (no ceremonies or no proof of ceremonies).

Don't lose your youth on a crazy woman who cheated you.

1 Like

kartikeya (lawyer/cyber law consultant/cyber crime investigator)     29 August 2012

It will be problamatic for you if your spouse come to know about this and can file another case and create strong defense ...

2 Like

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     29 August 2012


such advises may result in prosecution u/s IPC 497 (adultry) of the author

1 Like

Vinu (executive)     29 August 2012

Hi Harrassed "HUNS"band,

Your state is understandable and i appreciate your honesty of expressing your real feel. Most of the girls play such legal game " will not give divorse..will not live together...and will not say anything...OH...there is nothing in the world kills a person like "mystery silence". I suggest you to hear what your heart says...and do things with the awareness of its impacts.

1 Like

Harassed Hunsband (prop)     30 August 2012

Thank you All to taking time and replying my queries....


I am looking for a longterm solution, Also I heard if I have an live in relationship with agreement, its legal and can stay this way......

Frankly, it is difficult to prove mental conditions in court...... Though am trying but looks impossible..... What I have is circumstancial evidence to prove my self and nothing more.....


@Kartikeya, Vinu: is there any other way legally to continue life normally.........?

Also, can you tell me is there any time limit......... for the case and then divorce is given by court.....??


Amit (NA)     30 August 2012

@HH, I leave to legal experts to comment on proving mental conditions of your wife.

But can't you get her tested through psychiatrists? Will she object? Can you raise this in court? Discuss with your lawyer and also ask in the Experts section in this forum.


As for living-in, no it does not attract IPC 497 (contrary to what the other @Amit--- has said) if your partner is unmarried or widowed.


Husbands who are entangled in a legal mess due to fault of their wives have no option but to go for a live-in. Discuss in detail with your lawyer and carry on with your life. But this time be cautious in your selection of the partner and don't be in a hurry.

1 Like

Vinu (executive)     30 August 2012

Hi HH,

The divorce proceeding will take years... if one keeps on denying and shows interest to join together. Just you can stay calm and stick on your opinion that you never want her back due to her mental condition. During all your meditation calls you can confirm the same.So the court can not force anyone to continue when he strongly asks divorce.

Mr.HH but make sure with your own justice that she is cruel, having bipolar disorder..etc., There may be a hidden truth in your heart and i pray  that should not be 'You have a better you do allegate your wife so". :P Cool..!

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads