LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

puneeth   28 August 2018

Legality of using a private detective agency

Currently my divorce trials are underway and in the cross examination stage.I am contesting it on mental cruelty grounds.
No kids, she is a Govt Gazetted official. 

I got some insights that the girl is ready to settle up for a staggering 50lakhs.  
I am thinking to hire a private detective to know if she has moved on with someone. I have no objection with that but dont want to sponsor their future life with my hard earned money. 
So trying to negotiate the asking price on various grounds.

Questions:
1.So whether hiring a detective puts me into another legal trouble for infringing her privacy ?
2.Assume that the agency comes out with some documentary evidence claiming that she has moved on. what will be the best evidene to produce
3.Will the court weigh inputs from detectives ?
4.Any other ways to negotiate or tips to negotiate?  

Thanks in advance for your inputs. I am seeking advice

Learning

1 Replies

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     28 August 2018

You can hire a licensed Private Detective and use legal means to get information. It is perfectly acceptable in Court. The agent will have to write an affidavit with attached documents and proof of license. Its done all the time. Some evidence is often procured first in an unethical manner and then legalized. For example, I am told that it is possible to get call records the illegal way and then once you have evidence, ask Court to issue a summon to the phone company to produce it or some such mechanism without stating that you already have the evidence -:)

Detectives may bribe some informant but that is not your concern....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register