LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mayuresh (-)     06 January 2015

Legality of a website

Can I start a website which will contain only links to the torrent websites?

The website will not host any kind of torrent files or other files, it will be something like a search-engine, but only for torrents. Will it be legal?

Learning

2 Replies

cyberlawyer (barrister)     06 January 2015

Hello Op

There is not much of a difference as you are showing the path to a site, where copyrighted content is accessible by the browser. So there is possibility that you may be sued but in my opinion the chances are remote. 

Moreover the service provider from whom you get the domain space will impose some restrictions and if posting of such links come within the purview, then it will lead to violation of terms and conditions for which you may be sued by the service provider itself, so beware. 

mayuresh (-)     08 January 2015

Originally posted by : cyberlawyer

Hello Op

There is not much of a difference as you are showing the path to a site, where copyrighted content is accessible by the browser. So there is possibility that you may be sued but in my opinion the chances are remote. 

Moreover the service provider from whom you get the domain space will impose some restrictions and if posting of such links come within the purview, then it will lead to violation of terms and conditions for which you may be sued by the service provider itself, so beware. 

Thanx for your reply :) But I am not able to judge the legality of any torrent. I am just going to make a torrent search engine. Placing an desclaimer like this > "You are solely responsible for what you download we do not take the guarantee of what you do outside of our site" will help me ? or its a big no no from  law perspective? please help. Thank you!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register