Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Richy (LLB student)     18 May 2014

Legal status of me in a messed up family?!?

Hi All...

I am seeking a prompt  answer for my legal status in the family as a step-son.

My mother had divorced my father in 1987. She got remarried to a person who's wife was died and he had 3 children in his first marriage. Then i was 4 years old. At that time he gave a word to my mother's parents(they are still alive) as well as to my mother that he would take care of me like his own son. Based on that she married that person. From that day i am staying with that family where my mother got remarried. Now its been 26 years. My Mother and that person together has a daughter. so we are 5 children in total. He brought me up as his own child in front of the society? Now his children are creating so many issues against me.

Q: 1) If i file a case will i be able to obtain a title of an adopted child? How this relation is defined? What is my legal status in that family?

2)  Am i his step-son or adopted son or Is he just my local guardian? If i fall in any of this 3 category then what all privileges  i have in that family? Do i have all the rights in everything as the other children have in that family?

After 26 years if his daughters are asking me to go away from that home what else can i do rather going for a legal opinion. 
Where will i go now? Who will be there for me?. I cannot go to my biological father because i haven't met him since years. 

Being a step son do i have any rights on his succession (like property or carry his lineal heir)? He don't have his own son alive, he passed away 4 years back. So i am the only male child now. I am not able to find any relevant cases of this kind or not able to find any supporting law in hindu succession act. If there is any case laws or LAW kindly quote.

I am not here for any kind of arguments. I just need to know my rights!

Thanks in advance

Richi

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register