LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit (Consultant)     07 September 2014

Legal right of my wife in the property inherited

Hi, Ours is a Hindu family. My wife's mother died last year. And she had a property in her name. My wife in the only daughter of her parents. Now since my wife's mother has expired, her father is in the process of getting the property transferred in his name (with my wife's consent). My question is -:

Once the property gets transferred to my father's in law's name, will my wife's right will still be there in the property. What will that right going to be.

After getting the property in his name only (no mention of my wife's name), if my father-in-law wants to sell the property or decide to create a will to give the property to someone else (not to my wife), can he legally do that without the permission of my wife.

Thirdly, if they (father in law and my wife) decide to sell the property, will my wife still have the claim on the proceeds coming out of the property sale bearing in mind that the property was not in her name.

Regards

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 September 2014

Probably the lady is being asked to sign a 'Relinquishment Deed'. If she does she will be surrendering her rights.

Later if Father wishes he can/may ..............................or may not WILL any thing in her favor. 

saranya (trainee)     09 September 2014

now your father-in -law has full rights so he can execute the WILL as his favour to anyone without the permission of your wife

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register