Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JJ J   03 December 2022

Legal heir certification


This is concerned to the Ancestral property of a person who passed away last year. The property is in his ancestral hometown. The person left this place some 40 years back and does not hold any present valid ID proof to show his presence / permanent address over this place. 

Now his successors that is his wife and children had submitted an application with all relevant documents like death certificate of the person, Adhaar card of all etc. to the village office wherein this property lies for obtaining a legal heir certification. 

But, the village officer doesn't approve this and is asking for some proof of residing of either of the successors at that place.

How can this be sorted out or what is the alternative for this? 




 7 Replies

satish.purushotham (service)     03 December 2022

The,Family tree,should,be applied,where,the person,died and as per the address,mentioned,in the aadhar card,voter card.While applying,for family tree,the property tax,receipt and property document,should be submitted.

1 Like

Shashi Dhara   03 December 2022

Where  he studied  40 years is not century ,the persons who have crossed 60 years may know about him ,search ,if he studied in that village school take admission details in that school.

1 Like

JJ J   04 December 2022

Thanks for the reply Satishji Can you let me know more about the family tree? 

Is this a legal document which can be submitted to the village office under which the property lies for producing a legal heir certification? 



satish.purushotham (service)     04 December 2022

If,your father is a Govt,. employee,the legal heir certificate, will be issued by the,concerned,Thasildhar.Other wise,you file a petition, mentioning ,submitting  the copies,of property documents.Then,court will give a paper notification, that,you have applied for legal heir certificate, the court,wiil mention in the notification, if any one has objection,declaring,your mother and yourself,has legal heirs,of the property, should file petition in the court  with proper,documents, if no one is objected,the the court will issue,legal heir certificate. 


JJ J   04 December 2022

Tks again, 

If we file a petition at the Thasil where we are residing right that is entirely in a different state of India will this be valid in the village wherein the ancestral property lies. 

Or we need to obtain this legal heir certificate from the present residing state and again file this with the village wherein the property lies. 

Also if the court petition of one state is valid for the state wherein the property lies. That is it valid throughout India. 



satish.purushotham (service)     04 December 2022

You,should, file a petition in the court where,the property, is situated.The legal heir certificate,is valid, through out the country and abroad.

JJ J   05 December 2022

Tks a lot again. 

The legal heir certificate produced at the place where in we are presently residing won't work if it is valid throughout India or we need to produce it at the place where the ancestral property lies. 

My father was not a govt. employee so the petition should be filed with the court only or the Thasildar can issue this. 



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query