LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjaci (SSE)     09 April 2012

Legal heir certficate without ration card


I have the following clarification regarding obtaining a legal heir certificate.

I lost my husband in an accident and have filed a case at the court for the third party insurance claims. We were residing in Chennai after our marriage and we did not have a ration card in the chennai address. My husband's name was still in his father's ration card which had Tanjore address and my name is still in my father card which has the chennai address. We need a legal heir certificate for the case purpose. I also have a 18 months old daughter,my in laws are not residing with me. We were alone when married and now after his death I'm with my parents. Is it possible to apply a legal heir certificate at Chennai. My husband 's death certificate has chennai address and his passport copy has his Tanjore address. All my proofs and my daughter's consists of chennai address. My husband has one younger and one elder brother and his parents were not completely dependent on him, Should I need to include my in laws also in the heir certificate. Is it possible to get in chennai or in Tanjore only. If so what are the documents required.


Thanks in  Advance


 8 Replies

M.Sheik Mohammed Ali (advocate)     10 April 2012

yes, you can get legal heir certificate from court, or tahsidhar office, or contact my Senior Advocate Mr.Ramesh Manikandan, Parries Corner, Chennai. 9841786197, you can call after 1pm.

Sanjaci (SSE)     10 April 2012

So it is possible to state the ration card no of my father-in-law with TNJ address in the legal heir certificate application form. So me and my daughter will be the primary heirs and father in law MIL will be secondary heirs is it. What are the other supporting documents required for applying the certificate.

saravanakumar (Lawyer)     10 April 2012

You, your daughter and your motherin law will befirst class  legal heirs and father in law will be second class legal heir

List of proof documents

Marriage certificate

Birth certificate of your daughter

Residential of proof in your husband name.

Bank account details mentioning your husband name.




Sanjaci (SSE)     11 April 2012

There are lot of confusions for me regarding the documents required. We have our marriage certificate, my husband' s name is still in his father's ration card of Tanjore address. I dont have bank account details specifying my husband. But my husband passport includes my name as spouse name is it a valid one.

Following are the documents which I have,

Daughter's birth certificate (address consists of my ID proofs address)

Husband ration card(Tanjore Address)

My dad's ration card with my name(chennai address)

Marriage certificate(address in that for both of us is different, since we have relocated to some other address)


Please do clarify these.

Thanks in Advance

saravanakumar (Lawyer)     11 April 2012

Please clarify what is the address details  mentioned in pass port , marriage certificate and your daughters birth certificate

Have you got  death certificate of your husband .

Hope these documents are morethan enough to get legalheirship certificate






R.BERNATSHA (Advocate)     15 April 2012

Legal heir certificate without ration card not a issue before you. only thing is you wants to get legal heir certificate. your husband name is in the tanjore ration card. since you are living in chennai, ask your father law or your in laws to apply for legal heirship certificate before the tahsildar, Tanjore. whatever the documents are available with you that is enough to show you were all legal heirs of your husband. please handed over the the following documents available with you to apply for the same.

1.copy of wedding invitation

2. copy of  cetificate

3. copy of your child's birth certificate

4.copy of your husband's passport

5.copy of your parents ration card which reflects your name.

6.copy of your huband's death certificate.


R.Bernatsha Advocate

98401 33805. 

Sajid Baig (Others)     08 May 2013

Dear Sir

I would like to apply for the legal hier certificate. Where can I apply for the legal hier certificate, how long will it take and how much will they charge for it.

Please advice

thanks in advance

Sajid Baig


Christina (Freelance Trainer)     06 December 2014


I would like to apply for a legal heir certificate.  My father was born in Tamil Nadu & married in Mumbai.  Once in a while he used to take my mother and me to Tamil Nadu and go back.  Since he wanted to settle me in Tamil Nadu in future,  he has bought a land of two grounds in Tamil Nadu.  On 1993 I got married in Tamil Nadu and being with my family till now.  Now I am having one son age 17 and one daughter age three.

On 2005 my father has come down to Chennai to my place and given all the land documents he has bought in Tamil Nadu when I was three years old, with a roughly written will  of his Property.   Latter on 03.Feb.2010 my father died in Mumbai and his burial has taken place in Mumbai itself.  Now I need legal heir certificate. 

On my father's death certificate his name is Albin Fernandes s/o Mariadas fernandes, While in the land deed his name is M.A Fernandes, s/o D. Mariadas fernando.  Please solve this problem and get legal heir certificate.  In will he has mentioned M. Albin Fernandes alais  M.A Fernandes. Please help me.

I am staying in a rented house.  I am having only few proofs that I am my father's daughter.  I studied 10th Auxilium Convent Lonavla Pune.  11th SNDT College Mumbai.  In my both a Certificates my father's name, as we as my mother's name has not mentioned.  If I request will the school write my father's name give me?

But I am having my father's death certificate, Transfer Certificate.  My Pan Card, My Voter ID & My New Aadhar Card will bear my Father's name. In my ration card my father's name is not there.  My baptism Certificate and my Marriage Certificate also having my father's name.  Is it possible for you get a legal heir certificate for me. I need it.                    

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query