Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravinder Kaushik (Proprietor)     09 September 2011

Legal heir

Namaskar,

Pls guide me on the issue.

my younger brother was an advocate, died leaving inherited property, intestate, leaving wife, three minors, and mother as class I legal heirs.

after one year wife of younger brother remarried , second marriage registered according to hindu marriage act.

now the widow of younger brother lost her status of widow, but she is claiming in the ancestral property of my brother.

pls guide me whether she has lost her rights in the property of my younger brother after her second marriage?

pls also guide me whether The Hindu Widow Remarriage (Repeal) Act 1983 provide some povision regarding the rights of widow.

pls guide.

thanking you

Ravinder Kumar

Learning

2 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     10 September 2011

In your case immediately after the death of your brother succession was open and after one year she got married to another man so when successsion was open immedately after the death of your brother, your deceased brother's wife is entittle to claim the share.( Refer AIR 1964 Assam 106)

Widows loses right after re-marriage :  A Hindu widow inherited property of her deceased husband as limited onwer, and remairred with brothe of the deceasde husband prior to the passing of the Hindu Succession Act 1956.  At the time, of her re-marriage.  Hindu widows re-marriage act was applicable, on the basis of which, a widow was to forfeit her right in the property she had inherited from her first husband after her marriage.  Consequently property inherited from first husband, reverted back to legal heirs of her first husband ( Refer 1999(2) Civil L J 842 (HP)

Ravinder Kaushik (Proprietor)     12 September 2011

sir,

Namaskar, thanking u very much for replying.

our property was ancestral. property came to brother also as inherited from forefathers.

no partition taken place. when our father died, it was transfered to our mother and we four brothers.

when brothers widow remarried (20-10-2011) hindu widow remarriage act  was repealed by The Hindu widow remarraige (Repeal)act 1983. so pls tell whether  there is some legal way to prevent her to sell brothers property.  i would like to tell we all family members are willing to transfer the share of our mother (Upto the extent that is coming out of brothers share to our mother) share to the kids of brother also  but the widow is not willing to do so.

that why we are trying to bar her to claim  out of  brothers property..

pls guide

thanking u

Ravinder Kumar

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register