Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harsha Vardhana R (Project Manager)     24 November 2015

Legal guardianship - obligations

Dear Experts,

This is for a mentally ill person (my brother) placed in rehab center. He has been issued a medical disability certificate from a panel of psychitric experts and endorsed by the District Surgeon.It is marked the severity as 80% disability with a long history of disorder . He is aged 58+ and unmarried. I am his sole care-taker. 

Now I intend to obtain the legal guardianship of my brother from the District Civil Court under MHA 1987 .

What are obligations of a legal guardian? Does it restrict my movement outside the nation for periods like 1 year or so? I am working in software industry. With respect my brother, he would be continuously placed in rehab center as per medical advice.

Please clarify on this critical issue.

Regards,

Harsha 

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)
Does your brother have any immovable or movable property?

Harsha Vardhana R (Project Manager)     24 November 2015

Immovable - Yes, he becomes 1/3rd owner of 1 house in my mother's (now dead) name. 

Movable --- As of now - none. But, govt has ruled that if I can get a guardianship he would be allotted family pension (my father was a govt servant and based on disability factor). I need to receive on his behalf in a special bank account.

So legal guardianship would involve managership of property and pension also. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register