LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul (Director)     25 June 2013

Lease to a relative

Dear Sir,

I have recently bought a flat in Thane in a building where the society is yet to be formed.

My sister-in-law would be staying in that flat along with her husband and kid as the flat is close to her workplace.

SInce she is a close relative I ahve decided not to charge any rent from her.

But she would need her address proof to get a phone connection or opening a bank account and for the same reason she requested for a document which could help her with the same.

My concerns are:

1. If I get a leave an license agreement made then the society would charge me non occupancy charges, which I am not willing to pay as I am not earning anything from that flat.

2. If the above mentioned document is not made then she would face difficulty in providing an address proof.

3. Is there any document which can be made and would be acceptable to all te concerned people as an address proof?

4. Can I get made a Leave and License Agreement which states that there is no monetary considerations and rest of the clauses can remain as those are mentioned.

Would highly appreciate a response.





 2 Replies

Paras Awasthi (Businessman)     25 June 2013


Well it is up to you what rent you want to charge from your relative. If all the ruckus is being caused due to your not charging a rent, it is better to charge a nominal rent to to solve this problem


However i would entreat you to get in touch with a property lawyer who can guide you in these documentations and procedures. If you have any queries, you should look for reliable advice so that no problems are caused in the future.

I can suggest you www.lawkonect.com, visit this website to get reliable advice from experienced property lawyers. They have a great customer service and reply in detail to your queries in a very short time.



Neha Chowdhary (Law Officer )     25 June 2013


I do agree with Paras sir....

U can make agreement...and mention nominal charges.....

agreed she is ur sister and u dont wanna charge her any rent....but what's the wrong in securing ur interest .....in every respect....its always better to take down whatever u want in black and white.....Just a Nomial Leave and License Agreement....stating ur rights and some fundamental duties on her.....

Hope ur idea is clear now...



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register