Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anoop Prasad (Corporate Employee)     29 January 2010

Leagal proof of residence if living on Rend

Hi all,

I am living at my current residence for last one and half years. I haven't created any agreement with my landlord so far. And now I want a rent agreement with my landlord describing that I am living in his house since last one and half year and will live here at least for another one year.

Will that be a proof of address for me ? and will that prove that I am living at my current residence for last one and half year.

your kind advice is appriciable.

Thanks and regards,

Anoop Prasad





 9 Replies

Rajiv Chauhan (Advocate) (Advocate (Shimla) 7833999000)     29 January 2010

Yes, that is your residence proof (Rent Agreement), you have to specificed that you are living from "X" date/Year for that.  You can make you (ration card), Voter card, Passport etc for you residence proof.


A V Vishal (Advocate)     29 January 2010

What is the purpose for the residence certificate.

Anoop Prasad (Corporate Employee)     30 January 2010

Thanks for the reply,


Actually I had applied for the passport but police verification was negetive because I had no proof that I was living at my current residence for last one and half years.

That's why  I am looking for a document which can proof that I am living here fof more than one year.


Anoop Prasad



A V Vishal (Advocate)     30 January 2010

According to the passport rules the following proofs shall be acceptable for proof of address:

Applicant’s ration card, certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head, water /telephone /electricity bill/statement of running bank account/Income Tax Assessment Order /Election Commission ID card, Gas connection Bill, Spouse’s passport copy, parent’s passport copy in case of minors. (NOTE: If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the above categories). 
From your reply it is assumed that you don't have the above proofs, however a rental agreement is not a valid proof as per the above list.

Anoop Prasad (Corporate Employee)     30 January 2010

Thank you once again.

I have got my MTNL Telephone Bill of December 2009.

Will that serve the purpose?


Anoop Prasad

sweta singh (n/a)     30 January 2010

 make an affidavit that u live at that place from 'x' date.........and go the area or your ward councilor and request her/him with a letter personally to give a letter etc...that you live in their ward.....take with yourself certain proof that you live rent receipt....

A V Vishal (Advocate)     30 January 2010

Yes it will serve the purpose

M Ravinder Babu Advocate Parka (Advocate)     31 January 2010

 Rental agreement it self is not a conclusive proof.A man may for several purposs take so meny .DO YOU ACCEPT THAT IF YOU RESIDES AT ONE ADDRESS AND DO BUSINESS OR DEELS AT OTHER.Residence is some what deferent that of the document you posed.I S IT NOT .i F A STUDEN T STAYS AT SOME WHERE OR THAT HE TOOK A ROOM FOR STUDY IN THE SAME LOCALITY AND RESIDES WITH THEIR PARENTS , WHICH ONE IS THE RESEDENCE CAN'T YOU ACCEPT.


I do agree with Mr. Vishal.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query