LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shishir Kannur (Business)     20 October 2009

Laws Regarding Cheques

I do business and receive chequws frequently. What happens when one dies before I present the cheque signed by him to the bank? Are his assets liable for the cheque?

Learning

8 Replies

(Guest)

under the proviso of NI Act if a person die before presenting cheque in his account u cant claim

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     20 October 2009

you can request the legal heirs to issue the cheque who are authorised by bank to operate the deseased a/c holder as per nominee procees of bank

Sachin Bhatia (Advocate)     20 October 2009

If a person die before presenting cheque in his account you can't claim the amount under N.I. Act. But you can claim by way of Recovery suit from his LRs.

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     20 October 2009

I agree with sachin bhatia. You can't claim under NI Act. But  you can file a civil suit for recovery against his LRs because his assets are liable.

RAMAN KUMAR BHARDWAJ (LAWYER)     21 October 2009

you can present the cheque for encashment to the bank, however , if it dishonours, you can not sue the legal heirs u/s 138 NI Act. only remedy you have to file a suit for recovery agsinst the LR's

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     21 October 2009

If you are aware that the man has died, you can't present the cheque. Forget 138. If there is proof of the debt, go to civil court. Legal heirs don't pay just for the asking.

Adinath@Avinash Patil (advocate)     25 October 2009

IF DRAWER OF CHEQUE DIED N.I.ACT 138 IS NOT ATTRCTS.

YOU CAN FILE CIVIL SUIT FOR RECOVERY OF AMOUNT AGAINST LEGAL HEIR.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     25 October 2009

Provided legal heirs have inherited father's property - movable/immovable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register