Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

arpana (EA)     08 April 2013

Landlord not returning security deposit



We vacated the house in November and had given a 2 month notice as per the lease agreement. We have cleared the bills and all necessary expenses with the concerned house. Since November we have been chasing the landlord to refund thje security money but she has been delaying saying "soon". She had gone to London for a few days but now says she has no plans to return. Her sister resides in Delhi, and the rent cheques were deposited in their joint account. It has been 5 months now and they still say soon.

What legal procedure can i take to get the money back?

 3 Replies

CA Ayush Agrawal (Chartered Accountant)     08 April 2013

File the Case, and Engage a Lawyer.

First do Acknowledgement Intimation indicating deadline of returning deposit, otherwise case will be filed.

but iyou must have rent deed showing security deposit amount.

1 Like

Kapil Chandna (Lawyer at Supreme Court of India)     28 August 2013


File the recovery suit and I think this will also amount to criminal breach of trust under section 405 of IPC as well.

Advocate Kapil Chandna


Mayank Kumar Advocate (EAST DELHI)     16 October 2013

first send a legal notice to him through your lawyer for returning the security money as per agreement after that you may file civil suit against the owner.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query