Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

R K Raju (Software Engineer)     21 May 2012

Landlord need to provide all keys to tenant ?

I have let out a flat recently in Hyderabad and the tenant is asking to provide all sets of keys to the main Door. I was under the impression that the land lord can have one master key , so that if there is any emergency or abandonment of the property , that can be used.

What does the law say about this situation ? I don't want to break any laws. Please advise.

Thanks in Advance.

Learning

3 Replies

MADURAI LAWYER (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     21 May 2012

Dear Sir,

Kindly feel free to call me up on 9842197857 and get proper legal advice in your case.

https://www.jeevaganadvocate.com/contact.php

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     21 May 2012

The landlord has to provide keys to the tenant so that the tenant can enjoy the faility as per the agreement between the tenant and the owner.

The landlord is entitled to keep a set of keys to the property irrespective of the fact whether it is mentioned in the agreement or not but if the agreement specifically says that the owner cannot keep it then it will become applicable.

In any case how ill the tenant know that you have an extra set of keys unlees you have to use it someday.

The owner cannot use the keys for illegal puroposes or to invade the privacy of the tenant. However, the owner has the right to go into the tenanted premises after due notice to the tenant during normal hours and other hours only in case of some emergency.

S Jadhav

Narendra Malik (advocate)     22 May 2012

Landlord need to provide all keys to tenant and even otherwise landlord should'nt keep any keys with him. In case of any odd situation Landlord can seek the help of law. Landlord can protect his rights by agreement.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register