LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Wuok Toud   13 January 2024

Landlord deducting more amount for painting charges

My mother leased a house for 9lakhs and non-registered lease agreement was made on oct-2018. With painting clause amount to be paid as per applicable charges or get the house painted from our side. Later after e years in oct-2021, as he was in need of money he took 1lakh extra and in old agreement he mentioned that total of 10lakh paid and signed it and told us that we can stay for extra 3years. Nothing was discussed about painting charges and the house was also not repainted. After 1year of this he started pressuring us to vacate as he applied for loan to pay us back and told if we don't vacate in 3 months he will charge 20k rent later. We started looking for house,even after 3months he didn't pay as his loan got rejected. Later our father got hospitalized and again he started asking us to vacate and however we wanted to take him to ground floor as he couldn't walk now after surgery. The landlord promised us he will pay back soon or after 3months max and we vacated. We lost our father, and its been 1.3 years still he has not paid us back. whenever we ask him for money he says u didn't pay ur mom did,i won't talk to you. When my mother ask for money he puts new constraints every time saying we should pay him 1.3 years electricity and water bill even if we hadn't been there. Later that he doesn't have money to give so asking us to come back and stay. Now he got some money, so now he is saying he will deduct 50k for painting charges for a 600sqft 2bhk house saying 20k for 1st 3yrs and extra 20k for next 3yrs and other 10k for cleaning the house. I enquired from professional cleaning and painting it costs only 15-20k max for 600sqft to do cleaning and painting.  He says if we get it painted from our side then also he will deduct 50k. My mother is mentally depressed due to this as he was the won who told us to vacate and our father being a heart patient running after house to vacate early and then even after losing him we stayed calm and even after 1.5 years of vacating the house he is asking for electricity and water bill along with that 50k painting charges.  She is totally depressed and I am not knowing what to do .. kindly help..

Learning

2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     13 January 2024

You issue him a legal notice demanding the return of the deposit amount with interest because he is withholding the same for over 1.5 years. 

If he is not returning then you can file a suit for recovery with interest on the basis of evidence in your possession

Wuok Toud   13 January 2024

The lease agreement of 2018 is not registered and after completing 3years new agreement was also not made. Only on old agreement he wrote extra 1lakh paid for next 3 years.  So I am not understanding if my case stands or not. 

This is like mental torture for me and my mother.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register