LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sagnik Majumder2   29 April 2020

Landlady stopping water supply.

Hello, my landlady is threatening was that she will stop our water supply as the rent for this mont is due. The reason we were not able to pay our rent this month is due to the lockdown my father's business has taken a majore hit. She had already deducted last month's rent from advanced deposited. I want to know is it legal for her to stop our water supply. It not what are the actions we can take against her. Please answer somebody.

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)
This is not at all legal, and insanely inhumane. You can complain to various authority, or you can tell your landlady regarding the step you can take if she try to cut your water supply.

let me know if you need detailed guidance in the matter, mail me at mishrasatyam6804@gmail.com

Archit Uniyal   29 April 2020

Hi,

There are no provisions mentioned in the Laws of India that talk about the issue of rent during a pandemic like situation but the Ministry of Home Affairs has issued several statements regarding the issue of rent. The MHA has issued an order that the landlords shall not demand rent from students, poor workers, and migrant labourers and adding that those who would force their tenants out will face action.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also appealed to the landlords to not harass their tenants and warned of strict action against those who are found guilty. He said to that landlords that if the tenants fail to give the rent later, then the government will compensate it.

If the landlady still harasses you, you can file a complaint at the police station against her.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Archit

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register