LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sandeep K Singh (Business)     03 February 2010

Land Conversion Rule in UP


Dear All,
I would appreciate if you can let us know the land conversion rule in Uttar Pradesh.
If I am buying a plot out of big land which is ancestral property of the seller and it is within the notified area of Development Authority but it is not within Municipal Limits.
As per my legal expert, if we get the registry done  of less than of land area 3200 sqft (300 Sq Mt) out of that Khatuni property, we don’t require conversion of land usage as residential. We just need to pay stamp duty as of Residential class.
Pl help what is the land conversion rule in UP.
Can we buy plot and get it registered as Residential Plot and what would be maximum area we can buy in that way. And what is rule 143.


 8 Replies

Mohammad Haider (HEAD- LEGAL AND REGULATORY)     11 February 2010

Dear Sandeep, In case the Land in question falls in the Agricultural Category, the minimum land which can be purchased / transferrred is 3.14 Acres , as per the U.P.Z.A. & LR Act. Any land which is less than this would be a "fragment" , and would vest in the State, and your interests would be seriously effected.  The minimum area of 3.14 Acres is slightly more in the Areas of Bundelkhand etc. The Legislative intention behing this rule of minimum area of 3.14 acres (Maximum area in the name of single person is 12.5 acres) is the consolidation of land holdings, as , fragmentation of holdings may seriously effect the agriculture, and the State of UP, being primarily an agriculturist State cannot Simply let go the sale of agricultural lands in fragments.

Rule 143, as quoted by you is actually Section 143 of the U.P.Zamindari abolition ad Land Reforms Act, which authorises the Assistant Collector/SDM of the area to change the nature of a land from agricultural to residential. This change in the nature of the land is considered aither suo motu, or on the request of the party, whereupon, a survey of the land is conducted by the Lekhpal (A revenue official at the grassroot level) , and then he sends his report to the SDM concerned , with the endorsements of Tehsildar. If the SDM is satisfied from the report, he, in turns, passes a declaration under Section 143 , converting the landuse. This declaration, in turn, is sent by the SDM to the Sub Registrar of the area concerned , who registers it free of cost. The Process concludes with this.....should you require any further assistance, feel free to contact me.

1 Like

Sandeep K Singh (Business)     11 February 2010

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I got a lot of clarity form your reply. I would further appreciate if you can address following points as well..

1. Can I Purchase the land area of 2700 Sqft out of Arazi land and build the residence on it if Approval of MAP will be done from Development Authority?

2.Do I still need to convert the land use of above or juts  get the registry done as Residential plot?




Vikas Dixit (Advocate)     03 August 2014

Dear Sir, 

                       Myself, Vikas Dixit, wants to purchase a plot in Lucknow. The owner of the land belongs to SC category but land is 143 converted. Can I be able to register that land successfully. Can I be able to resell that plot if I want to sell in future. Please tell me helpfully.


Thanking you

faisal hussain (technician)     22 September 2014

Dear Sir ,
I want to buy around 7000 sqft agriculture land at Ballia district in uttar pradesh. This land is around 200 meters distance from state highway and on the highway some building are alresdy there. 
 I want to make a building which will contain ground floor for business purpose and first floor for residencial purpose in future .
Kindly guide me in details what actions shoud I do please ?
With Best Regards,
Md. Faisal Hussain.

aksinha   07 July 2015

Dear Haider Sir, A colonizer buys a large piece of  Agricultural Land from a farmer in Greater Noida. Colonizer did plotting and sold 50, 100, 200 sq yd plots to buyers as free hold land. The stamp duty charged by the Tehsil Office is as per Circle Rate for Residential property.

Is declaration under section 143 required in this case. Shall be grateful for a reply. 

Secondly, the Coloniser took the extra money market rate (which is double the Circle a Rate) in Cash( not cheque). Can a case be filed against him, without  any harm to buyer, for not paying stamp duty as per actual market rate. 

Best regards. 

manoj joshi (advocate LEGAL ADVISOR AT IDBI BANK)     28 April 2016

respected sir

my question is simple 

conversion of land ...agricultural to non agricultual is necessary if land is situated in notified area or under nagarpalika for the purpose of mortguage ??


Sanjeev (Proprietor)     21 January 2018

dear sir, I like to purchase a property in heart of city, the land use shows in master plan as PARK area. but their is already 40-50 commercial buildings as well as their any procedure to get approval of plan. I am ready to pay any fee to govt. for change of land use. 

Anoop Singh   09 March 2018

Hi Sir,

Land owner is SC person in lucknow (UP). His land is converted to non agriculture land by section 80 of UP revenue code 2006. Being a general candidate, can I legally buy a part of it to build my house or sell it in future if needed ?




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register