IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Madhumathi (NA)     01 November 2010

Khata and Khata Extract



I bought a Property (BDA) in Bangalore April 2010...and the Registration of the Property is done and the Lawyer hired took the responsibility to get the Khata and Khata Extract done and also Electricity and Water bill Name transfer and also took the sum of fees and other expenses..but unfortunately he is not turned up....I stay in USA and the lawyer is not picking up the call...what would you advise me to do to get the work done? Khata and the lost fee by the lawyer...

Please advise asap.




 7 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     01 November 2010

After purchase of 45 days you will get the property extract.  You did a mistake by paying the advocate to take khata extract.  Even one of your family members can apply for the same and get it.;

1 Like

Madhumathi (NA)     02 November 2010

Thanks for the quick response Adv. Rajeev.

Can you please let me know what is the procedure for any of my family member to apply for the Khata n Khata Extract. 

Do we need any signature from the seller in any of the application form?

How will I get to know the property ward?

What are the required docs to submit the same again?

Will I get two letters Khata and Khata Extract?

As its more months hope there wont be any trouble as we still dont have Khata n Khata extract?


Kindly reply asap.



suresh (Advocate)     02 November 2010

Dear Mrs. Madhumalathi,

For you first question :  Your family member cannot be applied for katha transfer on your behalf, you need sign the application.

Second question: Seller  has to sign on the application.

Third question :  documents are – mother deed, sale deed,  up to date tax paid receipt, Encumbrance certificate, and katha transfer fee.

Yes you will get katha certificate and katha Extract

There is no problem but you need pay fine amount.

Madhumathi (NA)     03 November 2010

Thank you very much for the detailed reply Suresh.

Can you plz adviseif we can apply online for Khata and Khata Extract or download the form?

Just to confirm is Khata and Khata Transfer one and the same?




suresh (Advocate)     04 November 2010

Dear  Madhumathi

There is no online kahta  or form in the website,

Katha is revenue documents which shows who is the owner,

After conveyance  katha needs to transferred to the purchaser name i.e, new owner name will be reflected in the katha.

 If you need any assistance in this matter you can call me





My Wife has inherited her Mothers and one of her first brother share and the release deed was done. So she is eligible for 75% share in the family property. But the Khatha was completely transfered from her mother's name to my wife's name, and all the Khatha Extract and Ceritification in my wife's name was done.

Later, In Court, the other 25% of the property was given to her second brother and the property was clearly marked, thorugh a decree.

Since the Khatha's is already in my wife's name before court order, Now is it required to re-apply for the new Khatha Extract and Khatha Ceritifcate, or Should we do khatha bifurcation, because the property is divided. Please advise

I'm not getting the proper answers from the BBMP (Kengeri Bangalore). There is lot of Harrassment, they wanted some documents with I never heard of or it is not required as per BBMP website.

Ankita srivastav   18 October 2019

Khata certificate or extract is an important legal document for the registration of a property and is known by different names in different places. Home Buyers often finds real estate things to be complicated. They have confusion regarding all the things related to property investment projects. Most important is Legal documents required for Purchase of property.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query