LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

suhail bhat   02 February 2020

jurisdiction of investigation

after registration of FIR is it mandatory for an investigation officer to inform local police station if he has to conduct investigation of any matter related to that case, outside state or outside jurisdiction of his own police station. please quote section of law.

Learning

6 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     02 February 2020

Dear querist,

Investigation officer has to make entry in station diary.

Regards,

Advocate Suneel Moudgil (Advocate)     02 February 2020

1. investigation officer records his exit and entry in the police diary,

2. state your query with your concern

Joy Bose   02 February 2020

Whether the police officer has the power to investigate outside his territory depends on whom which the FIR will be forwarded. 

Section 156 (3) Cr.P.C. states that any Magistrate empowered under Section 190 Cr.P.C. may order an investigation under Section 156 (3) Cr.P.C. and Section 190 Cr.P.C. which provides for cognizance of offence by a Magistrate does not debar a Magistrate from taking cognizance of an offence committed outside its territorial jurisdiction.

suhail bhat   03 February 2020

My question was that after filing FIR whether a police Investigating officer (I.O) can investigate or enquire the same case in any part of India without informing local police station. For example if a police staion "A" registers a cheating case U/ S 420 IPC and then I.O has to collect some evidences from mumbai or he has to search / arrest the accused who is hiding in mumbai. In that case after reaching mumbai for investigation is it mandatory for I. O to inform local police station in mumbai and under which section of law, plz quote.

suhail bhat   03 February 2020

My question was that after filing FIR whether a police Investigating officer (I.O) can investigate or enquire the same case in any part of India without informing local police station. For example if a police staion "A" of new delhi registers a cheating case U/ S 420 IPC and then I.O has to collect some evidences from mumbai or he has to search / arrest the accused who is hiding in mumbai. In that case after reaching mumbai for investigation is it mandatory for I. O to inform local police station in mumbai and under which section of law, plz quote.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     04 February 2020

Yes, the IO has to seek permission of SHO and concerned police authorities for investigation "outside" local jurisdiction of PS (thorughout territory of India including the state of J & K) and make an entry in the register maintained by each PS qua departure and arrival of the IO.

What is your concern / locus standi to the question if it is not a time-pass topic for debate ? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register