FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

G KRUPAKAR (ENGINEER)     11 July 2013

Is stridhan applicable to christians?

i got married a 45 days back and my wife's mother came to home and my wife went with her within a 17 days of marriage. now after 3 days SI OF POLICE called my father saying that my wife's father/ my wife lodged a complained against me & my family that we are harassing her and insulting her father which may come under 498a-domestic violence and dowry prohibition. and adviced to " speak with them and get compromised and take her back to your house, otherwise we will move the petition to court". as my father is a govt. employee and my younger brothers are preparing for govt. jobs, will it affect them for their carrier? shall i look it legally? if so, how? please give me detailed procedure. can i go for divorce? or shall i wait till 1 year? she might not be ready to break up but tries to harass us by giving false allegations as most of the laws are pro-female. we have not taken any dowry but her parents gave some jewelry and a two wheeler only. in jewellery some ornaments also made to me . but earlier they accepted to give some amount infront of elders but we rejected the amount and if you are still interested to give, then make some gold ornaments to their daughter instead and they agreed. will it leads to dowry act or can it be considered as stridhan. as we are CHRISTIANS will stridhan applicable ?


 5 Replies

Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath (Associate Professor of Law)     11 July 2013

Concept of stridhana does not prevail among the Christians.

Take the elders of your family and talk to them clearly and try to judge why they are behaving this way.

Take your wife back home

and then talk to her and explain her that false cases will only spoil the relationship.

Act fast to avoid any legal action by them in court.

Prevention is always better than cure.

Kapil Chandna (Lawyer at Supreme Court of India)     12 July 2013

Dear Sir,

Reading the facts mentioned hereinabove it is crystel clear that you were neither interested in any jewelery nor you have commited any wrong, therefore you need not get afraid their intimidation.No doubt the laws are pro-female but that does make the husband and there family a criminal .Unless the chrages are proved beyond reasonble doubt the person is not convict.

But, yes the moment they file a complaint under S.498A IPC, the police has a right to arrest the persons named in the FIR and you guys would to move an Bail application and so far as your father's govt job is concerned yes it would definatly affect them and your family enviornment would naturally be distured which would affect your brother preparation as well.So, you have to move with great precaution because even a slightest of mistake could ruin the life of many.

Lastly since Section 405 IPC talks about stridhan and it is applicable to everyone regardless of the religion one belongs.

Advocate Kapil Chandna



No. Not applicable to Christians.

THINKBIG TRIBE   28 September 2020

If a Christian girl is marrying a Hindu boy, can her father give her cash as Streedhan? Is this taxable?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     05 October 2020

Stridhan rights emerge froim Dowry Act which applies to all communities.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query