LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Srinivasan (None)     09 August 2012

Is release deed equal to sale/settlement deed

Hi All,

My father bought a land and constructed a house in chennai 30 yrs back.

He passed away around 12 yrs back without writing any will and there by the property came under the legal hires (my mom, 3 daughters & myself). Later 2-3 years back my sisters and mom gave a release deed in my name. Now I would like to change the property tax, electricity & water tax documents to my name.

Is this release deed sufficient to do the above said name change to tax, water and EB documents or do I still need to do a settlement deed or any other deed to get 100% ownership of this house in my name.




 5 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     09 August 2012

The release deeds executed by your mom and sisters are sufficient to give you 100% ownership over the property. No need of any other settlement deed.

Franky (Import Co-ordinator)     09 August 2012


Later on if there is a  mistake in survey no in the release deed and one of the party say a sister does not sign rectified release deed what is the remedy.

Thank you in anticipation


Seems you are confused and did not check the contants  of rectified release deed. In case there is a change in survey nos, you can ask mandal revenue offce for the notification of reconstitution of  existing survey Nos...you can file a RTI tio this effect if  the concerned department fail to reply your queries...

1 Like

niranjan (civil practice)     10 August 2012

Deed of relinquishment requires registration.

Adv Akhtar Ali Sheikh (Property Law Consultant)     10 August 2012

Get it registered

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register