LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar AK   25 May 2019

Is it possible to declare marriage null and void ??

I was married in 2010 and It was an arranged marriage. This marriage was held in hindu temple governed by a trust , and a certificate was issued  by the temple.


With in 3 month of marriage things relation between use started deteriorating , and after 12-16 months , my wife moved to her parents place and remained there with very minimum contact with me.

Recently I came to know that she was already married in 2003 and in 2005 filed a complained case against her ex-husband, and  compromised after taking one  time settlement, And also got divorced on mutual consent.

This fact was not disclosed to me/ my parents  at time of my marriage in 2010.

Now my question is :

Can this (Hiding Fact of Previous marriage and subsequent divorce) be a ground to file a petition in family court and get my marriage    declared null and void. Or I need to file for Divorce .


Requesting valued suggestion and advice from experts. Any reference to Judgment/s similar to my case will be very helpful




 2 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     25 May 2019

Your marriage is valid and cannot be declared null and void. If you want to give divorce, you should have valid available ground for the same or both parties agree for divorce by mutual consent. Otherwise continue the marriage.

Kumar AK   25 May 2019

Vijay SIr, Thanks for your valuable suggestion. In my case Contuniing the mnarriage not possible, as from last five years we are living seperately with no  contact/ communication.she (my wife ) stays at her parents place) . We do not have any child.

Considering above is contested divorce is only option left for me, and how feasaable it is considering above facts ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register