LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

naresh (restaurant general manager)     27 December 2012

Is it legal to marry my father's cousin

I'm naresh(26 yrs) from Hyderabad.i fell in love with a girl(27yrs) who is 1yr elder to me and she is my Father's father brother's daughter.However she is my father's cousin.I want to marry her and she is also willing to marry me but she is thinking abiut the society and all.But please tell me if we get married will it be Legal in our Country.Please guide us

Learning

8 Replies

Ranee....... (NA)     27 December 2012

no you cant marry her.

(Guest)

You can't marry her, its comes within the limit of spinda which is prohibited as per Hindu Marriage ACT

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     27 December 2012

Marriages between prohibited degree's are void marriages so do  not marry with your father's cousin,it will be void. 

naresh (restaurant general manager)     28 December 2012

but in our religion uncle can marry her niece then why there is prohibition for aunt marrying her nephew.can you clarify me on this.

PRADEEP KUMAR MISHRA (LAW OFFICER)     28 December 2012

i am surprised toknow that uncle can marry her niece. however, even it is true, then i think it is matternal uncle and not patternal uncle.

it is permitted because matternal uncle belongs to a different family, but in your case your aunt is from your own family. hence, if you will start such a tradition, it will hit at the root of family system. hence you better change your mind.

LEGALLY SPEAKING, YOUR MARRIAGE WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY VOID AS IT IS NEITHER SUPPORTED BY LAW OR ANY CUSTOM

Chetan Joshi (Advisory/Advocacy)     28 December 2012

No Naresh, you can't legally...And I am almost sure that a custom like that doesn't exist too...

If you consider converting your religion then there may be a possibility...But not being a hindu

Regards

Chetan(dot)7679(at)gmail(dot)com

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     28 December 2012

Mr. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, you seems to be from U.P. as your spellings in the title suggest. In Andhra Pradesh in Hindus MAMA marries his BHANJI. In Tamil Nadu Hindus siblings of sister and brother can marry. In Orrissa Hindus son and daughter of MAUSI can marry and it is very common, so don't get surprised as we Hindus blame only the persons from other religion that they marry within the close family.

SAM (LEGAL)     29 December 2012

Arey Baba dont marry to her or else you will have genetic defects in your future generation. We all marry to give birth to child, if we give defective birth to baby then how come you will risk small kids life. Please dont do it or else face denetics defects if you are not ok with all those guys who are trying to save u legally and trying to tell you what is the law in india.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register