Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pratija Goyal (None)     07 November 2014

Ipc 494 and bigamy

Hi All,

I have consulted 2 different lawyers and got 2 different opinions so i am here to find an exact answer to my query if possible.

If a person goes through a Hindu marriage ceremony before he is divorced from his first wife then as per the Indian law this is punishable under Bigamy IPC 494.

Lawyer1 said that this person can be punished any time as the crime is already committed and even if he divorce both the wives still he will be punished.

Lawyer2 said that if the Bigamy case is not filed till now and if he gets divorced from his first wife then his second marriage is void in any way and he has to remarry the second wife to make it valid.So as per him the Bigamy case should be filed when he is with 2 wives and filing a case later after he gets divorced from first or making second marriage legally void then IPC 494 is not valid anymore.

Learning

2 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     08 November 2014

Dear, Not matter what; you have committed bigamy and your second marriage is.void. Adv kapil chandna, 9899011450

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 November 2014

Nothing more to add.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register