LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SS (VP)     03 February 2013

Internet speed (wireless)

I purchased a data card on 3 months advance postpaid option from a reputed service provider in Dec '12. 

Uner the plan it is unlimited but the assured spped was 3.1Mbps.  As per the TRAI guidelines the speed must be atleast 80% of the assured speeds. This is in the TRAI website https://www.trai.gov.in/Content/faq_subcat_details.aspx?id=68&qid=1&link=0c

According to this the speed in my data card must be 2.48 Mbps atleast where as I get just around 200 Kbps for most of thee day and night. I took speedtest on my laptop with BSNL line at the same time in the night, with same laptop around 11 pm (5 samples each) and sent to them. Details are in the attachment. BSNL for the plan assures only 512 kbps where as I get as high as 1400 Mbps at times. For all this silly vague explanations were given by the apellate tribunal of the service provider. They said with wireless it will be so, buildings, tree, plants , location etc. My question is 200 kbps is too low compared to 2480 kbps which the TRAI prescribes. They have not disputed the TRAI regulations in any of the many mail replies I have received but only vauge explanations like the one (a para of it) I reproduce below

As verified a speed issue complaint is under solving state so kindly wait for the SLA period of 5 days and as per TRAI if you are getting a speed of more than 256 Kbps it is called as broadband connection and there is nothing like you should get 80% of the maximum speed.

UNQUOTE

Any one can go to the following websites and do a speedcheck

www.speedtest.net; www.cnet.com

I asked them to send their perrson with their equipments (laptops etc) which could be the best and show me 2.48 Mbps speed with my data card anywhere in Bangalore for a continous period and I will aceept all their arguments. No response at all. Finally it bacame a no ending exchange of mails for me.

After all this the speed somewhat increased to aroung 400 to 500 kbps but now it has again gone back to 200-250 kbps.

Now TRAI does not take complaints directly. The service provider apellate is also not responding.

Why are wee so much let down by the telecom regulatory authorities. Now we possibly understand the scrambling for the spectrum and the telecom scam.  I think too many things are hushed up under the carpet since it is a technical area.

Coming to the issue what is the remidy for this?  

I request the learned ones in this forum to help.

Thanks

SS

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register