Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Haripriya (Team Lead)     20 November 2013

Intercaste marriage----what caste the son falls under?

Hi 

I'm 25 years old and i have a boy friend who's 25 yrs old too.....we are in love from last 13 yrs....I'm a Reddy girl and he's a Sc guy. His parent's is also a intercaste marriage. His father is a SC and Mother is Viswa Brahmin. I'm not sure what is my boy friend's caste now. I'm not interested also in knowing as i don't believe but my parents have got concerns with his caste, they are ok if he's viswa brahmin but not if he's a sc. Can my boyfriend claim his mother's caste as he's been brought up in the same environment from childhood. what will be my caste and my kid's caste if i marry him...? do i have to change to sc.....?  can my kid's claim my caste? i dont want to change to sc and i want my kids to be in general category atleast as that's the main concern of my parents now for our marriage. If that is possible then i can surely convince my parents......Kindly guide me.....

Awaiting for  your response

Regards

Priya

Learning

8 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 November 2013

Can my boyfriend claim his mother's caste as he's been brought up in the same environment from childhood. what will be my caste and my kid's caste if i marry him...?

Ans : No He cannot claim mother's caste.  He carries father's caste.

do i have to change to sc.....?  

Ans : No there is no provision of change of caste.

can my kid's claim my caste?

Ans : The caste which his father carries.

You decides full pros and cons.  You are (as per present regulations) not at all entitled to any reservation if you marry SC.

(Guest)

Normally when both the spouses are from the FC caste, the kid carries his father's caste but in an FC/SC scenario it depends and the parents have the liberty to chose the lower caste and if they wish they can enroll the kid as an SC in the caste certificate to leverage reservation.

You caste remains same even after the marriage and it doesnt matter what u wish, the kid will be of SC caste. Lower castes are progressing in india and the future is theirs. Happy ga pelli chesuko ammai...dont even bother abt useless caste system.

Adv. Neha ( )     20 November 2013

Haripriya the caste of child will be that of father's caste. or whoever is having lower caste in mother or father.

Thanks all for the assistance. @sudhir I'm not even looking for any reservations as I'm settled already. Just bothered about my kids in future as the same happened in my boy friend's parents case and we are suffering now.so same shouldn't repeat with our kids though we are least bbothered about caste. @stalker I know lower castes now a days are far better in terms of social status and other aspects as well. I read in one of the article's that son/daughter of intercaste couple if they dont claim sc reservation will remain as general category.is that true? As my kid's generation wouldn't even be bothered about caste. At least with that I can convince my parents because the same question has arisen in our last discussion with my parents. They started blaming me that because of your love in future ur kids will suffer like how my boy friend is suffering now.please guide

(Guest)

My father also said the same thing but still I am suffering now LOL  :)

Now a days caste is something that you should use it for your advantage. If you truly love him then happily marry him. True I cannot predict what would be the state of society after 25yrs from now, but looking at the oppurtunities and the life style that people are enjoying now, I hardly believe that there would be any impact of caste after two decades.

If you don't claim SC reservation for your kid then your kid's caste would be of his father...in this case SC. Adv. Neha has rightly concluded it in a single sentence :)

I don't think your boy friend is suffering in any way...he got a reddy ;-) he is a winner :)

@stalker thank you very much.......a little relaxed now.........will post you again with a gud news after discussion with my parents.If everything goes fine then we'll get married in 6 months down the lane.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 November 2013

you said

"I read in one of the article's that son/daughter of intercaste couple if they dont claim sc reservation will remain as general category.is that true?"

even if both parents are SC still the children will be treated as General caste unless they go to tehsil office and get a certificate of being SC.  This certificate is not thrust one has to obtain it with efforts.

Haripriya (Team Lead)     22 November 2013

@sudhir thank u so much sir.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register