IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vidya   19 April 2017

Intercaste marriage

Hi all, I am trying to understand the rules for Intercaste marriage. I belong to OBC Hindu caste and my fiance belongs to SC Hindu caste. Do by any law if boy wants to change to OBC caste is he allowed? Do we get chance to put kids in mother's caste and give mother's lastname. As boy doesn't have last name. Thanks for help in advance.


 6 Replies

Lawyer, Bonum Lex LLP (Law Firm)     19 April 2017

 You can choose the mother’s surname instead of father' s surname. To do so, both parents must go to the Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Registered Partnerships to register the choice of the mother’s surname. You can do this before the birth of child or when registering the birth of child.

1 Like

Vidya   19 April 2017

Thanks Ramesh Singh,

As I told I am trying to understand the system.

I want to know in future, after marriage what would be child's caste? 

May I ask what do you mean by document you have in sentence "Boy can change to creamy or non creamy layer based on document you have/had"?



Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 April 2017

With Limited Understanding: The caste may not change after marriage.

The children may succeed to claim for the caste certificate of  mother if they establish that they were raised in customs and traditions of mother and were accepted in the said caste etc etc........


1 Like

Mukesh sharma (job )     20 April 2017

I agree with point of Kumar sir .. 

1 Like

Vidya   20 April 2017

Thank you very much All :)

I got answer to my query.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 April 2017

Happy to note that you got your answer.

You are welcome.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query